Nehalem Bay 8/8/14

S
sapo
Went to Nehalem Bay to try for some salmon and crab on August 8th, last Friday. Fishing was outstandingly slow, but a few were caught. The channel just downstream of Wheeler Marina seemed like a good spot, a few people hooking up there. Near the mouth of the bay, right by the ocean, a salmon was caught, and it looked good. Seagulls dive-bombed my herring multiple times, very frustrating. But otherwise it was very slow, I might go back in September and see if it's improved. The crabbing, though, was decent, and we got about 6-7 crabs, some were on the small side though. Anyways, thats my report for Nehalem Bay!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
good report, nice that you got some crabs...

D
DrTheopolis
I was out there Thursday and Friday (morning). Didn't touch a fish Thursday, we got 2 (a double even) by the jaws Friday. If we didn't all have to leave early, I'll bet we would have got more. Marked fish by the buhzillions on the end of incoming.

Crabbing sucked, got 2 both days, but they were large. And Sapo, when you say "some were on the small side," you know there's size and sex limits, right? Saw some tickets fly for that Thursday.

A
alm21
Thanks for the report. I was going to fish there today but other things kept me in town.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Thanks for the report, Sapo.

I'm headed out to the bay tomorrow to see if i can scratch up a king or two. Still waiting on my crab trap to arrive in the mail. A buddy of mine caught 75 crab in the bay in May, and every single one was a tiny bit too small to keep. Hopefully the crabs will be filling out and get a little bigger in september.

I'll let you guy know how the king fishing goes this week.

--GJWI

D
DrTheopolis
Plenty of coho moving in as well, both clipped and not.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
I made it out to the bay this morning and fished from sunrise until noon with no luck. About 50 boats on the water all the way from the town of Nehalem to Paradise Cove Marina. Seems like heavy boat traffic for a tuesday, but oh well. I'd heard Nehalem has become more over-fished in the last few years. I'm guessing it's a complete zoo on the weekends.

Anyway, I trolled herring and spinners. I landed a 13" wild steelhead (would that be a smolt or a jack?). Basically it's a one salt fish (a half-pounder). I would've taken a photo, but i wanted to release it very quickly. I couldn't believe such a small steelie would hit a 6" herring.

I didn't see any fish get caught, and only heard of one salmon being landed. Slow day for lots of folks.

Definitely want to take another run at the kings there in september.

D
DrTheopolis
Are you sure the "steelhead" wasn't a sea run cutthroat? They look pretty similar when they first hit the bay, and will eat anything in sight (got one on a herring in recent weeks).

Sounds much more likely to me, since steelhead smolts would probably have left the bay by now, SRC just showing up.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Oh, wow. I think you're right. I just looked at a bunch of sea run cutthroat images and that's exactly what it looked like. Thanks for the identification!