Need suggestion and help for fishing

R
rayamajhi
Hi,
I am a non-residential (international) living in Corvallis, Oregon and new in this place. I always been very interested (in fact I watch a lot of video about fishing by other people) to learn fishing but never got a chance in life before. As now I am living in Oregon, I think this is a wonderful opportunity to learn and have fun in fishing world. I am very new to this place and I don't know where to go for fishing. I live in Corvallis and I know very little about the area near to it. Is there any place to go for fishing near Corvallis? 1-1.5 hours drive is okay for me.

Moreover, I have no idea what is the rules and regulations. Do I need to buy license for fishing? In my country, people do not require to go for fishing but as I read in this forum it seems that I need to buy license.

Please provide me suggestions, tips, and guidance for where to go for fishing (for novice person) and what shall I need to do?

Sorry for my English. I am not good at English.

Looking forward for your reply.

Thank you,
Jyoti

brandon4455
brandon4455
go to bimart and pick up a fishing regulations book,and get your fishing license. if you want to target salmon,steelhead,sturgeon or halibut you must also buy a tag. in the book it breaks down the regulations by zone and there is a map for each zone,check out the northwest and willamette zone maps to look for local fishing spots then research them and ask more questions here. is there a certain species you want to target? do you have a fishing rod???

R
rayamajhi
Thanks Brandon for your reply. Is there any online booklet that I can look at? I don't have any particular preference at this time as I want to learn fishing first. I dont have any tools yet as I am not sure what is good to buy for people like me. Please suggest me what type of rod and bets should I buy as a beginner to start with.

Thanks a lot.
Jyoti

M
Modest_Man
Where are you from? Are you in Corvallis for school? If you want and my schedule allows (and you get a license) I'll take you out fishing, I've got plenty of extra rods.

R
rayamajhi
Thanks Mezzfin for the link.

Modest_Man,
Yeah, I am a grad student at OSU. Thanks for your invitation. It would be really awesome if you could teach me fishing. I really appreciate your help. I don't have license. Can you guide me which license I have to buy? I saw Combination – hunting and fishing license under hunting license for $58 in ODFW website. Do I need to buy this license or is there any other license? Do you know any place in Corvallis to buy fishing rod/bets?

Thanks

R
rayamajhi
Thanks,
I lived in Oregon more than 6 months so I think I am eligible for Oregon Resident. I dont have any particular choice for fishing as I want to learn first. I can check out the shop or I can call the ODFW office directly to get license. Thanks for the information.
WoW! Great you are almost done. Congratulations in advance. I am in Civil Engineering Department for PhD program and been in the program since 2010 Aug.

T
troutmasta
Welcome to an amazing fishery! I hope you enjoy fishing w modest man, trout would be a good place to start I think. PM me if you have any questions on targeting them;) CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK!!!

R
rayamajhi
Thanks Troutmasta.

O
off91745
Hi all--

Reviving an old thread because I'm in a similar boat. I've fished some before but it has been many years. I now have a 9yr old daughter who wants to try it, and I'm looking for an easy fishing experience for her. Is there a good pond near Corvallis I can take her to?

Back when I did fish, I mainly used spinning lures for trout. I don't think my girl has the agility to cast and keep the lure moving (at least starting out). So... what do you recommend for bait fishing? Where, when and what type of bait?

Thanks.