Need help

F
fish4life14
Ok yall im new to steelhead and i need help. Where is there good places to go? i just got my licence and tags today and want to get to using it and i haven't gone for steelhead but i heard that they are fun .
- Tight lines

Last edited:
S
sapo
Steelhead are fun, but they are also pretty hard to catch. But, if I were you I would try one of the coastal rivers, maybe Wilson, Alsea, some other coastal river, OR try the Sandy or Clack. A lot of rivers have winter steelhead in them right now. As for advice on where on the particular river, stay lower on the river since it is still fairly early.

F
fish4life14
Ok sounds good. How is the sandy and the clack. Also i heard that you can fish the beaches of sauvies island year round how good is that fishing this time of year and or in general.

M
montym
Don't think the Sandy and Clack are too hot right now but I will be at Oxbow tomorrow. Give me a shout if you want to join me. I am a newbie too but I think I have had some very good coaching from Tanner. :)

F
fish4life14
ok sure ill see what my work schedule is like and if i have the day off. im going to go out and boy some spin and glo and hot shots and good colors to get ?

B
bubs
In regards to your original question, steelhead fishing for the average bankie who doesn't immediately have good local info or access on great holes is tough and not necessarily intuitive, even if you have a lot of experience fishing rivers for bass, trout, etc....I have a couple thoughts for you:

1) OFF - there is so much information on here in previous threads it's ridiculous, put in some time searching keywords and you'll find some great posts. Collectively you can get a good idea of different techniques to use, spots to fish, and times of year. As far as what works in certain conditions, that's more something you'll have to figure out on the ground.

2) Guide - expensive, but so is wasting day after day out there, losing gear and burning gas, not catching anything. You can learn all the holes on a particular stretch of river and the appropriate techniques.

3) Go to the hot spots and watch - head out to the super-popular holes (Mills Bridge on the Wilson, mouth of Three Rivers on Nestucca, hatchery on N Fork Nehalem, hatchery area on Sandy, Meldrum bar, etc..) leave the rod behind, watch, be nice and ask a few questions, you'll at the very least learn something about how to fish those holes.

4) Water levels are really important for steelhead/salmon, keep that in mind because it's related to everything else you'll learn. One hole might only fish really well, or one technique might only work, at a specific water level. Time of day, water clarity and temperature, tides, etc. are all factors as well.

As far as the Columbia side of Sauvie Island, I'm no expert but I'd say it's far from a year round fishery..if there aren't a bunch of people plunking and boats trolling then there probably aren't any fish worth fishing for. If you're close to the Sandy & Clack head out to Meldrum Bar or the hatchery area on the Sandy to see what's what, that'll be a good start. However, as stated above, the coastal rivers are the hot spots right now for sure.

Reactions: EOBOY
F
fish4life14
Ok thanks a lot bubs thats helps ill look more into those places and also take your advice.

D
DrTheopolis
To echo what Bubs said, if you're looking to plunk OFF the beach (very different from fishing tribs), Meldrum is an easy drive from Beaverton, and if you conduct yourself like a redneck, the Good Ol Boys out there will probably help you out.

I haven't been out myself, but I get frequent reports, and the Clack has been pretty slow. But right about this time is when they start showing up in decent numbers.

EOBOY
EOBOY
bubs said:
In regards to your original question, steelhead fishing for the average bankie who doesn't immediately have good local info or access on great holes is tough and not necessarily intuitive, even if you have a lot of experience fishing rivers for bass, trout, etc....I have a couple thoughts for you:

1) OFF - there is so much information on here in previous threads it's ridiculous, put in some time searching keywords and you'll find some great posts. Collectively you can get a good idea of different techniques to use, spots to fish, and times of year. As far as what works in certain conditions, that's more something you'll have to figure out on the ground.

2) Guide - expensive, but so is wasting day after day out there, losing gear and burning gas, not catching anything. You can learn all the holes on a particular stretch of river and the appropriate techniques.

3) Go to the hot spots and watch - head out to the super-popular holes (Mills Bridge on the Wilson, mouth of Three Rivers on Nestucca, hatchery on N Fork Nehalem, hatchery area on Sandy, Meldrum bar, etc..) leave the rod behind, watch, be nice and ask a few questions, you'll at the very least learn something about how to fish those holes.

4) Water levels are really important for steelhead/salmon, keep that in mind because it's related to everything else you'll learn. One hole might only fish really well, or one technique might only work, at a specific water level. Time of day, water clarity and temperature, tides, etc. are all factors as well.

As far as the Columbia side of Sauvie Island, I'm no expert but I'd say it's far from a year round fishery..if there aren't a bunch of people plunking and boats trolling then there probably aren't any fish worth fishing for. If you're close to the Sandy & Clack head out to Meldrum Bar or the hatchery area on the Sandy to see what's what, that'll be a good start. However, as stated above, the coastal rivers are the hot spots right now for sure.

Bubs good post with good advice. Around the First of the year I was hanging out at Mills Bridge Not fishing just watching and kabitson. Learned some stuff and met some good people. Gonna give you vote for that.

Fish4life4 here is a pic that some might mistake as a steel and a Salmon but is actually 2 Steels. One is first year back and the other...well maybe someone else would answer that not sure I know.

• steel.jpg
O
OnTheDrop
EOBOY said:
Bubs good post with good advice. Around the First of the year I was hanging out at Mills Bridge Not fishing just watching and kabitson. Learned some stuff and met some good people. Gonna give you vote for that.

Fish4life4 here is a pic that some might mistake as a steel and a Salmon but is actually 2 Steels. One is first year back and the other...well maybe someone else would answer that not sure I know.

Just one that came in earlier than the other :)

Winter Steelhead start to turn color fairly quick in fresh water.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Just one that came in earlier than the other :)

Winter Steelhead start to turn color fairly quick in fresh water.

yep, here is a mess of winter bucks that got 'whacked' on Tuesday up the Alsea...ranged from dark to chrome...(big one in the center was 30")...

Last edited by a moderator:
N
nwdunerider
Caught a colorful little buck today on the Alsea.
But !!! When we were taking a pic of it it slipped out of my hands landed on the bedrock and shot right back into the water.
Thought my fishin buddy was going to slip into the water also while rolling around laughing :)
Got the pic though so it counts. I have proof !!!

J
JHawk
The coast has been slow for us. We've been on the N. Fork Nehalem, Kilchis, Wilson, and Trask. We pulled on 8# buck out of the Wilson at the Guide Shop. Otherwise, it's been a lot of driving. The Clack and Sandy have been slow as well. Even though a guide will cost you $125 for a half-day, or about $200 for a full day, you'll spend that much on gas and likely have little to show for it. In the long run, you'll be money and time ahead to go with a guide.

If you want an up-to-date report on the Sandy, call Mark at Mark's Snack and Tackle in Troutdale. He's shoot it straight with you, plus he's got a killer pulled pork sandwich!

J
Jordy
I could give you 5 thousand words of advice, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the experience you would get from fishing with a guide.

Find a guide on a river you want to fish regularly and make sure that guide will fish a style you want to employ. If you dont have a drift boat you should be very clear about technique because many guides fish diver bait or pull plugs, so make sure you get on board with a guide who can help you progress.

O
OnTheDrop
I guide the North Coast... We've been catching a few this past week...
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg