Need an aluminum welder for my boat

F
fitzi6_7
misjudged the current drift (less than expected) and nailed the dock. Put a hole in the front of my old Lowe boat. anyone know a good aluminum guy?

18406ej
18406ej
Sorry about your boat. I don't know of anyone up there but whomever you find, make sure they show you a work sample first. A lot of people will tell you that they can weld aluminum but few people can actually do it well. I tig weld steel, stainless and even copper and can weld all of those beautifully but I am smart enough to leave aluminum to someone who really knows that craft.

Good luck and welcome to OFF

EJ

O
OpaBob
Hoping others respond. Seems like a list of reputable folks who can handle aluminum welding would be quite useful.

E
eugene1
OK, I didn't respond because I don't know about up in pdx.

In Eugene, head out to Koffler boats by the airport. They can weld any aluminum you have, reasonable rates too.

O
OpaBob
Thanks, eugene1!

E
EllenPhillips
Aluminum welding you can do by yourself. Aluminum welding needs to be performed "hot and fast." Unlike steel, the high thermal conductivity of aluminum dictates use of hotter amperage and voltage settings and higher weld-travel speeds. If travel speed is too slow, the welder risks excessive burn through, particularly on thin-Gage aluminum sheet.