NanoFil line review

E
eat, sleep, fish
Over the coarse of a couple months now I've been testing out Berkley's new NanoFil line. They tout is as not being a mono or a braid, but the "next generation in fishing line".

First off it's pretty much just like braid for all intensive purposes. It has no stretch, small diameter and is super sensitive. However, unlike braid, it doesn't soak up water. This makes it an amazing line for float fishing and in freezing temperatures.

The downsides are just like any other braid. It also doesn't seem quite as abrasion resistant which may make you a little nervous if using it for drift fishing. Berkley also doesn't recommended it for bait casters, but I'll probably pick up a heavier pound test and give it a go eventually anyways.

Overall if you are a fan of braid you'll probably love this line for your spinning setup. If you hate braid, you probably won't like this either, and if you haven't made the switch from mono yet, you may want to give this line a shot.

If anyone else has input on the line feel free to share.

Oh and yes it does catch fish...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/4.bp.blogspot.com\/-6GLCfweOXnk\/TuuuaKtWbiI\/AAAAAAAABlw\/dFZk5UAcOIw\/s640\/IMAG0146.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
Nice write up ESF.

T
TimberTodd
Thank you for the review.

B
billfisher
Been thinking about getting some, thank you!

J
jawjacker
Just to reiterate a little of what you already touched on ESF nanofil is very technique specific. The biggest reason that line is not recommended for bait casting reels is it's extreme low diameter. The heaviest pound test nanofil is available in is 12lb. test 3lb. diameter. You might be able to cast and fish just fine but when you finally do hook up the tension will cause the thin line to bury deep into your spool rendering your drag useless and causing the line to snap due to no stretch in the line. I'v seen it happen with regular braid in lower pound test and could only imagine how bad it would be with nanofil. The minimum pound test that I would recomend for a bait casting application would be 30lb. test 8lb. dia. and that's pushing it. I prefer 50lb.+ for what I do. Nanofil pairs nicely with 3000 size reels & smaller and when used in a top water/float fishing scenario really shines because of it's non absorbent characteristic. On the other side it has no abrasion resistance like all braids and even less as much due to how thin it is. For this reason I would recommend always using a fluoro or mono leader no matter what technique you employ that way you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Plus it's more fish friendly. That low diameter line will not only dig into your spool but also a steelie spazzing out doing the death roll. I started using nanofil this steelhead season on my float rod and have been thoroughly impressed. It's the best float line available right now and I have tried them all. I am looking forward to this summer's top water smallmouth action as well.

K
Kevinb5688
---^ well said. Thanks

S
steelhead_stalkers
I think the abrasion resistance issue people talk about is not as big an issue as one might think. I have had many fish rubbing on rocks and ledges and can say that I have never had my braid break while fighting a fish. I think that the nanofil would be the same. The thinner diameter does not make the line easier to break. The 15 lb braids break at well above 20 lbs and though I have not tested the 12 lb nanofil to see where it breaks I would guess that it breaks in the upper teens. I have not used it on a baitcaster but on my spinning reel the nanofil does not dig in hardly at all compared to other braids I have used in the past. Very good line for float fishing! Probably good for pulling plugs too. Nice review.

J
jawjacker
The thinner diameter does not make the line easier to break.
It does if it gets down into the rocks. I haven't lost a fish on a rock yet either "knock on wood" but it is a very common occurrence that I have seen with my own eyes particularly on jetties. I have rubbed a few rocks slightly with the 12lb. nanofil durring battle and landed the fish only to find the line shredded up with stringy fibers. All I had to do was apply very minimal pressure and the line snapped. I credit my 10 & a half foot slow action rod for saving the day not the sweet abrasion resistance of nanofil. Not knocking on nanofil or anybody's opinion it's still as good as it gets for float fishing so far.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Good points. Braid may break sooner I was just saying that its not as big a difference as some may think. I would bet if you used a similar mono line that breaks at 12 lbs, say 6 lb ultra green you would have a similar chance at your line breaking. 6 lb ultra green breaks at around 12 lbs. There was a video a while back showing both mono and braid being dragged along rocks and they had similar breaking limits during those tests. I have not had a whole lot of time testing nanofil so it may be less resistant than other braids I have used in the past.

J
jawjacker
That's a good point and if you compared abrasion resistance with 12lb. nanofil and a comparable diameter mono their would be no comparison at all.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I don't think comparing a 5 lb diameter mono that breaks at 5 lbs with a 5 lb diameter braid that breaks at 12 lbs would get us anywhere. :lol: Now my head hurts from thinking about all of this. :D

Last edited:
J
jawjacker
mine too lol!