My new boat has fish repellent built in.

Y
Yogidabear
I have been down the leaburg to greenwood run 4 times with nothing but a couple of trout to show for it , All of my winter tactics have failed, I'm not use to this and it's getting frustrating, (ya I know cry me a river) I'm starting to think this boat has a curse and that's why I received such a great deal. I heard on Ifish that banana's are bad luck so I have keep those away. :lol: I have tried nightmare jigs along with every other color, winter steelhead eggs, (those are messy really don't like using them) yarn balls, trout beads recommended by orrt RB spinners, spoons little cleo, kitchen sink. And still nothing but pesky trout. I'm thinking of having the curse removed by a priest , what are your thought's?

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
back some plugs down the holes after you've tried all those techniques.

O
OnTheDrop
Plugs are a favorite for early summers... Mag lips 3.5 have out fished any other plug for myself. Also, a lot of the winter jigs and tactics don't seem to work for summers where I'm from. Pink/White combos kill the winters for me, but not really the summers for some reason. I like smaller jigs in super odd colors or more natural ones such as dark colors ( 1/16-1/32 ) Nightmare will still slaughter them, but try some funkys ..Purple and blues have done well. I also like a bit of chartreuse mixed in to **** 'em off. A go to is a chartreuse head with an all black body. ( Orange head works well too ) Also if you like to drift fish...Orange corkies with a hint of sand shrimp and a bit of white yarn...Idk how it will work on the Mack but it slays 'em to no end on the Clack when all else fails...

Last edited:
W
waco
Hey I'm good luck, take me on your boat and you'll have a fish catching machine! :lol: :lol: :cool:

E
eugene1
diver and bait will get it done. try prawns from orrt, it's steelie candy, Mike'll show you how to rig them if you don't know how.

Best,

jamisonace
jamisonace
I know there are fish being caught but it's still really early. Three more weeks and you'll be into them regularly. It's probably as much about where you're fishing as it is about what your using.

P
plumb2fish
Spinners work well on summers, so do sand shrimp......orange corkie,white yarn, and scent of choice.....

E
eugene1
jamisonace said:
I know there are fish being caught but it's still really early. Three more weeks and you'll be into them regularly. It's probably as much about where you're fishing as it is about what your using.

plumb2fish said:
Spinners work well on summers, so do sand shrimp......orange corkie,white yarn, and scent of choice.....

You guys are right! Still not that many over the falls, and they will bite anything that gets in front of them. So it is also down to LUCK, Yogi.

Keep the faith and don't get burned out too early!

Best,

L
Logger707
I wouldn't worry yet its early.not that many over the falls,it takes them two to three weeks to make it up here and only 15-20% of those fish are mckenzie bound

S
steelhead_stalkers
That's summer fishing! They are not really here in great numbers yet. Everything you do in the winter will work just fine. The people who are getting a few fish here and there are ones fishing the river almost everyday. Those who have jobs will need a few more weeks before fishing picks up. :lol: Don't worry yet, I'm sure your boat is fine. ;)

J
joem
plumb2fish said:

One of the fish I got on the mckenzie had one of these set ups in the side of his face.......................................not to happy when you see tgat. But the way I figure it dont let anyone tell you there's not fish somwhere I have caught them where others never fish and on things people say dint work. Keep at it. Oh and bannas are good luck after me and my cousin land 2 in 10 casts in a hole he pulls out a banana that was before bait to. Just keep at it i got one Monday and lost one and going again tonight. Gotta kill them steelhead. Oh another hint holding fish will usually not bite unless you're an inch or 2 infront of them but a moving fish will move 3 to 4 feet no problem

P
plumb2fish
For summers I have had my best luck jig fishing micros in peach, pink/white, black/white head, and nightmare...think small with light leader...8lb fluoro...works well

O
OnTheDrop
joem said:
Oh another hint holding fish will usually not bite unless you're an inch or 2 infront of them but a moving fish will move 3 to 4 feet no problem

Holding summers have been known to cruise 10-20ft out of there way to hit a Jig, Spinner, Spoon....Seen it multiple times.

J
joem
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Holding summers have been known to cruise 10-20ft out of there way to hit a Jig, Spinner, Spoon....Seen it multiple times.

Yeah but i have seen more holding summers not bite till you are an inch infront of them. My dad watched one swim across the river and grab a glob of eggs but last week I bounced a jig off the fishes nose to get him to bite

S
steelhead_stalkers
You are talking about summers that are sitting in front of 100 guys dragging every lure known to man in their face. They will not bite for the most part because they can see you, the leader, lead and everything else coming down the river. Summers not holding in front of a hatchery will move to bite various lures!

Reactions: gjonesjr
R
rippin fish lips
Summers will move great distances to strike lures weather they are holding or moving. Seen it happen plenty of times to other people and lots of times to me. I have watched them chase my spoons and spinners 20 feet to strike a lure/bait. I have pulled holding summers out of rapids and into the tailout im fishing with spoons and spinners. it's a sight to see a steelhead bolt through rapids and then get smacked a second or 2 late.

Monday was a good day to be out... I got mine on a florescent orange corkie with cerise/pink yarn with some mikes salmon oil and 3 feet of leader on monday. Oil scents work really good with yarn/corkie / yarn balls.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yarn doesn't work! :lol:

B
bran_man
steelhead_stalkers said:
Yarn doesn't work! :lol:

Especially your guys' yarn! I never have success making yarn balls out of it! :naughty: lol