My maiden voyage west

F
fitzi6_7
Finally got out to do some exploring this weekend. Started off at Three rivers, Amazingly my Magellan found the Hatchery and I used that as a beacon to get there. Passed several Elk on the road so figured it would be a good day out.

Pulling in to the Cedar Creek turnout, I now know why I have heard it called "Combat Fishing"... lol I got there around 7:20 and there were at least 10 cars. I know I am a noob but why would you need to wade in the creek when its 20 feet wide? Seems like you are wading into the fish... Anyway I watched the fun and did see a guy on the far side pull in two in about 15 minutes...

Left there and went down the road to the pull outs and fished from the guard rail down stream for a few hours.... skunked. Threw everything I had, jigs, spinners, corkies, shrimp....

Around 10:30 I figured I would ride up the Nestucca to see what was up. The river looked high to me but what do I know. I fished a few bridges (not sure which ones) and saw quite a few folks in boats. Looked like they were flying and didn't see anyone on either side catching much.

Around noon I headed back and got a coke at the Hebo store and figured I would try one more spot on Three Rivers just down from the turnout. I didn't go past the rapids my first time. As I walked down I see this old guy hauling a pig in and figure I am going to have some fun. He catches his limit and then he and his buddy leave. Fished till 3:00 and nothing....

So feeling a little defeated I limped back home..... Heard it takes a thousand casts and I think I cut into that a lot....

A
alm21
Tough break but you're not alone. At least you were able to scout out some new-to-you territory for the next trip out.

F
fitzi6_7
alm21 said:
Tough break but you're not alone. At least you were able to scout out some new-to-you territory for the next trip out.

Yep, I liked the Nestucca, but think it would better with the water down a bit...

D
DYJ
Good job on actually gettin out and exploring, instead of waiting for someone to do it for you. Keep it up and you'll get on em.

H
hunt-fish-trap
when I started out I wasn't catchin diddaly and then a old timer gave me some of his eggs and said if I keep usin eggs cured for salmon I would never catch any steel. WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! ever sense then its been Pautzke borax o fire in pink. I keep them wet and they work great.

Also there is a group of volunteers on the tuc that sells there eggs to benefit the program. Its put on by the Tillamook Anglers contact Dove @ 503-812-1572.
this was in STS magazine

S
salmon_slayer87
So feeling a little defeated I limped back home..... Heard it takes a thousand casts and I think I cut into that a lot....[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it takes more then that lol. There are times where ill go 3 trips and not hook one. Then other times where i find them everywhere I cast. The biggest thing is watching and learning from others fishing the river you want to learn. Takes some practice...but you'll get it.
Good luck,
Dale

S
Santiam338
Persistance kills... Keep after them..

P
powerbowlers
Your day sounded exactly like mine. Im new to fishing that area and fished the same places as you and even thought the Nestucca was to high and came back to Three Rivers. LOL I was driving a grey Ford Taurus.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
powerbowlers said:
Your day sounded exactly like mine. Im new to fishing that area and fished the same places as you and even thought the Nestucca was to high and came back to Three Rivers. LOL I was driving a grey Ford Taurus.

Welcome to the forum! Great minds do think alike...Keep at it guys, you will find 'em while others are waiting for reports. Not that reports aren't great, but we need explorers like you to post them...

F
fitzi6_7
powerbowlers said:

Red 4 runner here, will likely bring some eggs next time....