My biggest squaw fish!

L
LoganGressett
Caught this guy the other day and needless to say i wasn't really expecting it.
I was using a crankbait trying to catch smallies! I'm not sure how big these fish get but ive never seen many of this size.

Clatskanie River, 20" and 2.5 lbs.

imagejpeg952.jpg

T
TTFishon
Looks like it's been eating well. Nice fish.

C
chrisohm
They can get up to about 24", possibly larger and weigh around 8 lbs, even more if they have the right conditions. They work well for crab bait, crawfish bait and if you catch them in the Columbia River you can get $$ for turning them in. Nice catch. I just took my son out for some fishing and I found him a school of bluegill to have fun with until he started catching pikeminnow. Then I had to get on board and turn it into a derby...he still won.

L
LoganGressett
Nice that's awesome. Yeah i know about the $$ reward. I have yet to find a good spot where i can catch them consistently, this is my first one this year. I'd love to start making some cash off them though!

F
Finneus Polebender
That is a fat one but they will go a bit bigger , not sure of 8 lbs perhaps in the big C, I have caught them up to 3lbs though.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
There's a lot of 'em that size in the Willy and Long Tom. But, not quite that plump. That sucker <pun intended> has been piggin' out on something for sure.

C
cowboysfan
that is a good sized one, Iwanted to say a nice fish but could not bring myself to do so as they are right there with carp as far as ugly goes.

Reactions: JeannaJigs
J
JeannaJigs
troutdude said:
There's a lot of 'em that size in the Willy and Long Tom. But, not quite that plump. That sucker <pun intended> has been piggin' out on something for sure.

piggin' out on smolt!!

I've seen them in the santiam and the willamette as large as steelhead. They're evil fish!

R
rippin fish lips
JeannaJigs said:
piggin' out on smolt!!

I've seen them in the santiam and the willamette as large as steelhead. They're evil fish!

Yup, the mac is getting a good population of them too. they will get as big as steelhead

bass
bass
Wow that is a fattie!

There is a lot of hate piled on pikeminnows but they are a native species that has been co-existing with salmon and steelhead forever. They make a great scapegoat. Look a $4 bounty so that you will not look too closely at habitat destruction, dams, etc. As for size. Oregon does not keep a record but Washington does. The state record in WA is 7 lbs 5.76 oz. Probably in 50 years there will be pikeminnow hatcheries and you will only be able to keep the clipped ones :)

Reactions: TTFishon