Moving to Hillsboro, not familiar with the area.

S
ski0617
Im in the Army stationed in Texas, ill be getting out later this year and going to move to hillsboro. just wondering if there is someone out there that can give me some guidance as to where are some good places to fish. as to what i want to fish for, whatever will bite whats on the end of my line. im used to fishing mostly for trout so id like to do more of that.

H
hcole
The trout fishing in the rivers nearest Hillsboro isn't great but I still enjoy fishing the Wilson River for cutthroat, especially in the late summer/early fall. There are a lot of smolt in the river so I'd encourage methods that limit mortality and if you're catching a bunch of small fish to move to a different spot because they are more than likely salmon/steelhead smolt. The best trout fishing rivers are generally east of the cascades, although the mckenzie river can be good.

Henry Hagg Lake is a popular trout fishery and close to Hillsboro, but I don't fish there much so I can't offer any worthwhile advice.

Last edited:
S
ski0617
well thanks, excited to get back and do some fishing.

bass
bass
ski0617 said:
well thanks, excited to get back and do some fishing.

Welcome to Oregon and thanks for your service!

If you are looking to do some trout fishing at this time of the year they are stocking a lot of lakes and ponds. Here are some great links:

Map of stocked lakes: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps...d=214908543798798432115.0004ac48fd67609bb5183

You can use the map to see what is close to you and then look up the stocking dates on the second site. Typically fishing remains decent for at least 3 weeks after the fish have been stocked in the smaller lakes and ponds. Note that most streams are not open until either end of April or late May depending upon where they drain. The regulations here are amazingly complicated (coming from PA and NC). If you have a question about whether you can fish any lake or stream do not hesitate to ask.

That should get you started on some easier fishing. Keep asking questions once you get here!

18406ej
18406ej
Dear Ski,

Welcome to OFF, and thank you for your military service. Will you remain in the Army when you move to Oregon or are you out?

My idiot older brother is stationed at Fort Hood I think (he is not very communicative) and he just returned from his deployment to Afghanistan. Should an idiot older brother with no military or public service experience be allowed to join the Army at 49 years at the rank of Captain? I don't think so but he is a psychologist and works with front line troops on PTSD issues. He freely admits to having little knowledge of how to use his assigned weaponry even though he had the highest SAT score in the State in high school. God bless him, I guess. If you see him tell him I said "hey", and also tell him I said "f**k you". He will understand.

I don't know much about fishing Hillsboro, heck, I don't know much about fishing at all. I do like the gamble though, so when you are ready please let me know and I will take you over to (bank) fish in the Siletz, just one of many stunningly beautiful rivers that we have.

Thank you again and stay safe,

EJ

S
ski0617
joining at the ago of 49??? never heard that happening. and at the rank of captain? also a first for me.

18406ej
18406ej
He has always led a charmed life, usually without lifting a finger. I will have to tell you his life story sometime. I had never heard of the entering as a Captain or entering at age 49 either (he is now 52), but if you recall the TV show "MASH", all of the Doctors entered as Captains so I am guessing it is something to do with his status as a psychologist. He had something like a 3-4 week boot camp where they apparently didn't check to see if he had listened to anything at all.

He is not a bad guy, and received a Bronze Star in Afghanistan after treating a foreign, wounded when he was attacking my brother's forward encampment. When my brother removed the foreign's outer clothing the man had enough strength to remove a pin from, but not throw his grenade. My brother grabbed it and threw it and it turned out to be a dud.

S
Spydeyrch
Welcome to OFF and soon back to Oregon!! :clap:

Hillsboro has some sweet little mountain streams within an hours drive if you are willing to hike a little.

I fly fish them. If you fly fish or would like to try it and maybe get addicted to it, heheheh, once they open up I could show you around a few of them if you would like. :dance:

Take care and welcome!!

-Spydey

P.S. Thank you for your service. I have a younger brother in the Marines and a younger sister in the airforce. Take care. :D

S
ski0617
id like that. wont be back till later this year so it wont be able to fish them till next spring.

troutdude
troutdude
Henry Hagg Lake is near, where you'll be living. It's a great place to troll for trout; or just kick back on the bank. On the season opener this year; I know of 3 eleven pound, and 2 twelve pound rainbows caught. Plus, there were a lot of 2 - 4 pounders and hundreds of smaller trout. Hagg is open, until the Sunday before Thanksgiving. So, maybe you'll have time to fish there in the fall?

T
TimberTodd
Ski,
I would also like to say thanks for your service. Let us know when you get back to Oregon. One of us will point you in the right direction. If its later in the year you could be looking at fall chinook or winter steelhead.

S
ski0617
im thinking ill be back around september-october.... although i kind of home i am staying here until december so i can go deer hunting before i come back.