Moving to Eugene, closest beach for surf perch?

A
arrow1
Hello,
I will be moving to Eugene in mid-sept and would very much like to make day/weekend trips from eugene to coastal beaches for surf perch fishing. Can anyone suggest a beach worth going to that is say directly west of Eugene? All responses are greatly appreciated. Arrow1

Last edited:
plumbertom
plumbertom
Heceta Beach Is straight west from Eugene.
It might not be the best beach for surf perch, but I've caught them there.
It's also easily accessed.
South jetty beach is also an option, particularly if you are 4-wheel drive.
You can get around the beach dunes and drive down close to the water.
I myself have only fished south jetty beach once, and went without any love.

troutdude
troutdude
I'd direct you to this Facebook page. I've not done any surf perch fishing as yet. But I've followed the page for a long time; and they seem like really good peeps on there. FYI it's for Oregon residents only.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1437095149923439

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
plumbertom said:
Heceta Beach Is straight west from Eugene.
It might not be the best beach for surf perch, but I've caught them there.
It's also easily accessed.
South jetty beach is also an option, particularly if you are 4-wheel drive.
You can get around the beach dunes and drive down close to the water.
I myself have only fished south jetty beach once, and went without any love

Be aware that you can only drive on the beach at the South Jetty during part of the year, I believe no vehicles are allowed from May to September. Slightly south of there is the ATV/OHV area, then just before the mouth of the Siltcoos river the beach is closed to all vehicles all year.

Reactions: troutdude and plumbertom
troutdude
troutdude
rogerdodger said:
Be aware that you can only drive on the beach at the South Jetty during part of the year, I believe no vehicles are allowed from May to September. Slightly south of there is the ATV/OHV area, then just before the mouth of the Siltcoos river the beach is closed to all vehicles all year.
Good lookin' out Roger!

L
LuedtkeLB
Hey, Welcome! I live in Florence, which is directly west of Eugene. I like to park at Muriel O Ponsler Scenic Viewpoint. That’s my go to spot for perch. Tight line!

• 78E26696-19EF-4A93-A098-002FC50567FC.jpeg
Reactions: troutdude, rogerdodger, Chromatose and 1 other person
C_Run
C_Run
There was once a member on here from Florence," bythesea", who used to report on surf perch fishing. He always touted Siltcoos Beach as his go to. It too far for me but I suspect it's still good.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
The last time that Bythesea was on here, was late December of 2016. I just tagged him or her @bythesea. So hopefully they will respond.

Good of you to remember that @C_Run!

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
I've had luck at Ocean Beach, about half way between Florence and Yachats, just north of Ponsler. It has good parking and easy access to the beach. I've also had luck at Ponsler and the Siltcoos outlet, but beware there is one mutha of a dune you have to traverse at Siltcoos.

Beware of leaving visible items in your car at any of the coastal pullouts. Tweakers love to break into cars there :(

• Wow
Reactions: LuedtkeLB and troutdude
Big D Sowards
Big D Sowards
arrow1 said:
Hello,
I will be moving to Eugene in mid-sept and would very much like to make day/weekend trips from eugene to coastal beaches for surf perch fishing. Can anyone suggest a beach worth going to that is say directly west of Eugene? All responses are greatly appreciated. Arrow1
Hello arrow 1….the thing about Oregon surf perch fishing is that perch are where you find them…they are all along our coast. Time of year, tackle and bait choice, tides, all affect your chances of success. Call bait/tackle shops in Brookings for latest scoop. By the way, Florence is 3 hours north of you…you do not need to go that far north. Tons of beach access between Brookings and Bandon. Tight lines!

plumbertom
plumbertom
Uh... no.

Reactions: Big D Sowards
plumbertom
plumbertom
Big D Sowards said:
Uh yes…
Better take a look at a map.
I live in Eugene and Florence is about one hour dead west of me.

Reactions: Markk and troutdude
plumbertom
plumbertom
Big D Sowards said:
Uh yes…
Or maybe you just need to go back and read the OP.

L
LuedtkeLB
Big D is correct on everything except location. From Eugene take Hwy 126 to Mapleton, take a left at the blinking red light 3 way intersection. Follow that another 14 miles and bam, Florence. Muriel and Ocean Beach are a 10-15 min drive north up Hwy 101. Bandon and Brooking are a couple hours south of Florence.

Reactions: troutdude and plumbertom
troutdude
troutdude
plumbertom said:
Better take a look at a map.
I live in Eugene and Florence is about one hour dead west of me.
Correct. The OP was looking for places due west of Eugene.