minnowmagnet meets Mr. Big

M
minnowmagnet
Well, I don't author many posts on the forum but I do like the laid back vibe here on OFF.
I've been out in the Willamette quite a bit lately sturgeon fishing in my kayak. I have always enjoyed the reports and posts on the sturgeon forum from Bass and Moe and others and regret not having started more of my own. I fish with Bass now from time to time and we do pretty well. I learned how to fish for sturgeon from checking out this forum.
On top of that, I have learned other techniques from information provided here, including but not limited to:
how to prepare and rig a plug-cut herring
how to wrap and run a kwik-fish
how to plunk a spin-and glo
Anyway, my memory is slipping tonight, but I'm sure the list goes on. What I meant to say was thanks a lot.
My video career is in its pre-pubescent stage right now but this is the best I got. It was an awesome day today. This is one of my top 3 biggest ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FG4z8lVBvU

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nice, that is one big fish....do you fish springers on the Willy much? cheers, roger

M
Modest_Man
Wiley's Seaplane Port eh?

O
OnTheDrop
Haha good little video man.

I was waiting for that Clarus to bust in two.

bass
bass
Great video MM, that fish was a monster. The bend in that rod is terrifying, that is how I broke my tiger stik last fall :(

When I use a salmon rod for sturgeon it is a 20-50lb test model, you are crazy using that little twig to catch those monsters :worthy:

B
billfisher
Wow, nice video and fish. I sure thought you'd have a two piece rod before landed it.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Very cool video! Loved when he was just taking you where ever he wanted lol. Iv got to give that a shot some day!

M
Moe
Sweet fish! You're the reason I got into sturgeon fishing so much! Because of your tips over a year ago! Thanks!

M
minnowmagnet
rogerdodger said:
nice, that is one big fish....do you fish springers on the Willy much? cheers, roger

Roger, I love to fish for springers. I do get a little tired paddling constantly so I usually only troll for two or three hours at a time. I picked up only one keeper this spring, but maybe 2014 will provide us a better run. I really enjoyed anchoring for fall kings in the C. Much easier.
Unlike Ceasar, I am looking forward to the ides of March.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
minnowmagnet said:
Roger, I love to fish for springers. I do get a little tired paddling constantly so I usually only troll for two or three hours at a time. I picked up only one keeper this spring, but maybe 2014 will provide us a better run. I really enjoyed anchoring for fall kings in the C. Much easier.
Unlike Ceasar, I am looking forward to the ides of March.

excellent, I am hoping to get up there in my Hobie to troll for springers at least a couple times, especially if the run is strong...;)

M
minnowmagnet
thanks for watching my video guys. That was at Wiley's Seaplane Port, I think. I don't mind sharing my sturgeon spots because trying to keep a good spot on the lower Willamette to yourself is like trying to keep secret the location of your favorite McDonalds. I can't believe that rod didn't break either. I always have liked Shimano components, bike and fish. I think not gripping the rod too high above the reel-seat helped.
Just for the record, I don't make a habit of fishing sturgeon under-geared. I happened to fish with someone (ahem) last weekend that made it look fun, so I tried it out on a much lighter setup than his. Never again. I like to get the fish up faster than that, for their sake and mine. You never know what is going to be down there biting the small baits with the shakers. The one on the video luckily was released after about 75 min. which is not terrible, but kind of a long time.
Once again, thanks for watching and feel free to say hi if you recognize me out there.

bass
bass
minnowmagnet said:
thanks for watching my video guys. That was at Wiley's Seaplane Port, I think. I don't mind sharing my sturgeon spots because trying to keep a good spot on the lower Willamette to yourself is like trying to keep secret the location of your favorite McDonalds. I can't believe that rod didn't break either. I always have liked Shimano components, bike and fish. I think not gripping the rod too high above the reel-seat helped.
Just for the record, I don't make a habit of fishing sturgeon under-geared. I happened to fish with someone (ahem) last weekend that made it look fun, so I tried it out on a much lighter setup than his. Never again. I like to get the fish up faster than that, for their sake and mine. You never know what is going to be down there biting the small baits with the shakers. The one on the video luckily was released after about 75 min. which is not terrible, but kind of a long time.
Once again, thanks for watching and feel free to say hi if you recognize me out there.

I fish with a salmon rod not a trout rod :)

Actually the 20-50lb salmon rods have almost as much backbone as my tiger stik, but are much lighter and more sensitive in the tip. Great with lighter weights (<=6oz). Next time we are out you can try it.

Congrats again on that beast!

jamisonace
jamisonace
That is great video. How long did it take to get that fish in?
The biggest I caught was 10 feet and it over an hour on super heavy gear. I can't imagine doing it on that salmon rod.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Fantastic video! And thanks for dialing me into a 6 1/2 foot monster this morning! My left arm is toast...that fish trashed my forearm, biceps, and shoulder. I now have a completely new respect for these dinosaurs. I hope the sturgeon fishery can withstand the pressure from man and lasts another few centuries or more.