Middle Deschutes

S
spmpdr
Hey guys, I see they opened up the canals finally !!! How long will it be before the water level drops on the middle d to a fishable level?

S
steelhead_slayer
i'm pretty sure they just closed them back up, but i could be wrong

Irishrover
Irishrover
spmpdr said:
Hey guys, I see they opened up the canals finally !!! How long will it be before the water level drops on the middle d to a fishable level?

The water that irrigates my farm comes from the North Unit Irrigation District. They don't fill their ditches until mid April and they always gives us a heads up. Is it the COI ditch that is runnung water? Or they might be doing some matntience type of work. Last word I got from the district is they are burning the weeds along the ditches. Not sure what's up but, the first part of may is a good bet for water levels to be lower on the mid river.

Here is the official word from the irrigation district.

"Tentative Water Turn On Date

March 16, 2012

North Unit Irrigation District's Board of Directors has set a tentative canal fill date for the 2012 irrigation season. Water will be released at Bend and Haystack Reservoir the morning of April 3rd. Water deliveries will be available in some areas by April 7th: all areas within the district will be able to receive water by April 9th. The District will continue to monitor weather conditions and could move the canal fill date if conditions change."

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
What they do is periodic "stock flows" for people to fill things such as their cisterns, ect... during the winter. These usually only last about four days and are done during the week, and the fishing gets really good down there in the winter. They did just shut them down today, and it is confirmed by Irish, and other friends as well that they will be turning on the canals early this year. I heard that because we have been having unusually high water levels for winter and with the spring runoff they will be releasing water from the reservoirs which are already full. So Randy was worried about water come late summer, there shouldn't be any real concern unless we are preparing for a "2012 Event" :confused: :shock: :think: :lol:

F
FishFiddle
Hey Irish! Happy St Paddys!! All fishing today must be in green....green worm, green bugger, green damsel, and green beer.

Irishrover
Irishrover
FishFiddle said:
Hey Irish! Happy St Paddys!! All fishing today must be in green....green worm, green bugger, green damsel, and green beer.

Green wooly bugger is really one of my favorites!:)