Met this guy yesterday

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
With the Sandy & Clackamas both blown out, I have had to bone up on my lake fishing skills. Yesterday was (finally) a good day. Wooly buggers & prince nymphs were the Soup du Jour. This is my first Golden trout. Great fight. Feels good man.

Last edited:
W
waco
Nice fish you are getting good!! Is that fish an albino!?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Thanks Waco! I wouldn't say I'm getting "good," but I'm getting slightly better at not getting skunked completely. I'm sure I'll return to that status when the rivers calm down and I can go get my but kicked by summer steelhead & the ever-elusive chinook again. But for now, lake stockers will suffice.

This is actually a Golden trout, which is considered a subspecies of the Rainbow. It's not a true albino. In the wild, they reside in high altitude waterways primarily in California and Nevada.

E
eggs
They are stocked in some private lakes around here Waco..

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
A
alm21
Looks like a Horning's Hideout special. Nice catch. They have those freaky vampire red eyes.

T
the_intimidator03
pinkygonzales said:
This is actually a Golden trout, which is considered a subspecies of the Rainbow. It's not a true albino. In the wild, they reside in high altitude waterways primarily in California and Nevada.

The fish you caught isn't a "golden trout" persay as that is a different fish, What you caught is either a golden rainbow, palomino, or albino rainbow trout. The pink eye leads me to lean in the direction of albino, the pictures I have seen of palomino trout have a normal colored eye. I find the golden rainbow trout is a lot like the Palomino trout but with a rosy cheek and stripe.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
the_intimidator03 said:
The fish you caught isn't a "golden trout" persay as that is a different fish, What you caught is either a golden rainbow, palomino, or albino rainbow trout. The pink eye leads me to lean in the direction of albino, the pictures I have seen of palomino trout have a normal colored eye. I find the golden rainbow trout is a lot like the Palomino trout but with a rosy cheek and stripe.

Very observant, the_intimidator03! You may well be right. I was indeed at the Horning's and they mentioned that there were "Goldens" in the lake. I know they are stocked but I don't have any other specific detail.

W
waco
pinkygonzales said:
Very observant, the_intimidator03! You may well be right. I was indeed at the Horning's and they mentioned that there were "Goldens" in the lake. I know they are stocked but I don't have any other specific detail.
Thats where I thought you were thats why I asked if it was an albino! Once again Nice catch!

T
the_intimidator03
Its all good, I was just being technical. As far as pinning down what a "golden" rainbow trout or palomino is at its core I havent found any solid info. To me since the eyes are normal and the rest is "bleached" it would be almost a Leucistic gene. Albino's tend to have pink eyes.

J
JeannaJigs
okay...that thing just creeps me out.

T
todd_brooks
I don't know this to be fact but this is an explanation a reliable source gave on another board.

"There's nothing GMO about them. They're not golden trout, they're albino rainbows....the history behind them is some fish farmer saw one in his pond that was produced naturally (as natural as a hatchery environment anyway) and then some others and then bred the albinos together....and here we are.

The golden rainbow trout originated from a single rainbow trout that was spawned in the fall of 1954 in West Virginia. This trout's body color was a chimera of golden and normally pigmented tissue. When this fish was crossed with a normally pigmented rainbow trout, the offspring (what we have come to refer to as palomino rainbow trout) were lighter in color.

Golden rainbow trout and palomino rainbow trout are not sterile hybrids, they are simply color variations of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and should not be confused with the golden trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita) native to a few drainages in California. It took selective breeding for several generations to result in the development of true breeding golden rainbow trout. Typically, these fish are more of a brilliant golden color than the palomino rainbow trout, which has a color phase intermediate between the golden and normally pigmented rainbow trout.

In Pennsylvania, the rise of the palomino rainbow trout stemmed from obtaining fertilized golden rainbow trout eggs from West Virginia. Subsequently, when these golden rainbow trout reached maturity, they were crossed with normally pigmented rainbow trout and the offspring resulted in the development of the palomino rainbow trout. The initial stockings of palomino rainbow trout in Pennsylvania waters occurred during the 1967 season. At present, however, due to their more brilliant coloration, we use golden rainbow trout exclusively for production purposes rather than the lighter palomino rainbow trout."

T
the_intimidator03
GMO? can't recall what that means.

From what it seems is that the palomino trout is a recessive gene and when bred to a normal rainbow produces a normal looking trout. however breeding the offspring with the palomino would produce some palomino trout. or something of the such.

T
tomriker
Genetically modifed organism, the thin every hippie is afraid of

T
the_intimidator03
thats right... TY for refreshing me on that riker. I aint a hippie but I dont like GMO either.

J
JeannaJigs
the_intimidator03 said:
thats right... TY for refreshing me on that riker. I aint a hippie but I dont like GMO either.

Don't lie, I bet you're starting to grow dreadlocks ;)

T
the_intimidator03
JeannaJigs said:
Don't lie, I bet you're starting to grow dreadlocks ;)

truth be told... i need a hair cut LOL