Memorial Day weekend at Lookout Point Res

T
Ttrolling
Excited to say I am looking forward to a long weekend :dance:. Will be heading to Lookout Point to try for crappie. Anyone heard if they are biting yet? A couple of weeks ago I would have expected the water to warm up while we had 70-80 degree weather, but wondering if this caused more snow to melt resulting in more colder water moving in. Last time I was there the water was still too cold. Any ideas or has anyone taken any recent water temps out there?

Troutski
Troutski
Huge Crappie....

Huge Crappie....

Not sure on Lookout but they are starting to bite at Hills Creek, nothing like the fish at Lookout Point.. wouldn't surprise me if the next State record came from Lookout Point.
School Creek is where I would start, the water seems to heat up early in there.
Have a great weekend...

Chuck

L
Logger707
I'm not a crappie fisherman but yesterday there was 8" of snow down to 3000' that melted all of today so may have cooled the water down

troutdude
troutdude
Ttrolling...if you happen to have an extra seat...

PICK ME! PICK ME!

Good luck, and tight lines.

T
Ttrolling
I am not that familiar with Hills Creek, I know it's just past Oakridge and have seen the turn off and the fork going around the lake. If I began my weekend there on Sat bank fishing, is there a decent place to start, left fork or right and how far down or which landmarks would I be on the look out for?
If things are good on Sat, I can bring the boat on Sun to get busy and I have an extra seat Troutdude. I can't wait to get started on Lookout Point, but crappie fever may have gotten the best of me for now, so I think I may start at Hills Creek for some early crappie. I hope all the snow that Logger 707 is talking about doesn't dampen the action too much.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for the seat OFFer! That's mighty kind of you.

But, I just got a weekend invite to head north. I'll be fishing the Clack, NFR, and hopefully Lake Harriet and Timothy Lake this weekend.

Have a good time; and let us know how you do.

T
Ttrolling
Ok, so here is the latest. I spent 2 days at Bingham and CT bridge, but was skunked besides catching a few pike needles. Sunday night, I spent the night in the boat at Lookout Point in School Creek cove. I tried out my homemade crappie light (2 high beam halogen auto headlamps sunken in Styrofoam). The entire boat glowed in the dark, you could have seen us from mars, it was awesome. The zoo plankton was everywhere, the crappie were darting around underneath, it was pretty cool, but still no bites. I could see the bottom of the lake and see the flashing of crappie everywhere, but no matter what I tried, they were not biting. I even put the jigs directly in front of the fish and tickled their ribs with the jigs, but it must be too early still. I have a 5 day weekend coming up in mid-June, so I expect to do some damage to them then. If anyone catches some crappie before then, please send a message because I am ready.

T
TTFishon
Ttrolling said:
Ok, so here is the latest. I spent 2 days at Bingham and CT bridge, but was skunked besides catching a few pike needles. Sunday night, I spent the night in the boat at Lookout Point in School Creek cove. I tried out my homemade crappie light (2 high beam halogen auto headlamps sunken in Styrofoam). The entire boat glowed in the dark, you could have seen us from mars, it was awesome. The zoo plankton was everywhere, the crappie were darting around underneath, it was pretty cool, but still no bites. I could see the bottom of the lake and see the flashing of crappie everywhere, but no matter what I tried, they were not biting. I even put the jigs directly in front of the fish and tickled their ribs with the jigs, but it must be too early still. I have a 5 day weekend coming up in mid-June, so I expect to do some damage to them then. If anyone catches some crappie before then, please send a message because I am ready.

Thanks for the report. I'm thinkin about headin out there this weekend. Stop by and say hi if you happen to see a dude in a red toon.

troutdude
troutdude
Ttrolling said:
Sunday night, I spent the night in the boat at Lookout Point in School Creek cove. I tried out my homemade crappie light (2 high beam halogen auto headlamps sunken in Styrofoam). The entire boat glowed in the dark, you could have seen us from mars, it was awesome.

I thought I'd seen a UFO, from our camp at McIver Park!