Max range for black tail with 150 gr 30-06

J
Jig'n
Going to hunt deer for the first time this year, been practicing my marksmanship with a 30-06 So far I can nail a bulls eyes up to 150 yds and can get on the paper at 360 yds.

I've been shooting Remington Core Lokt 150 gr. I'm curious of the max/effective range that I can humanly put down a Black Tail with good shot placement?

What's a good range I should be practicing at?

Thanks
Brian

Last edited:
S
steelheadstalker31
30-06 has plenty of killing power out to 400 yards if you can place a good shot.

C
capblack
an 06 has plenty of killing power out to 4 or 500 yds for game like deer. i think a better question would be can you shoot consistent at that range. if you want to it will take a lot of practice, and i am not sure youre going to get very good groups with remington core loct ammo. where will you be hunting?

O
osmosis
If you want to extend range there are a near endless amount of variables from projectile construction, to B.C., to load, to rifle twist rate ( to match the bullet weight), and on and on..

Most simply put, a heavier bullet is how you stay effective at putting down animals as you extend the range. 150 grains is a relatively light -06 loading, you may be better suited stepping up to 180+.

Nowadays there are some impressive penetrating rounds on that light end, like the TTSX, winchester power core, GMX - Which are monolithic (Not core and jacket, like traditional bullets). Nosler partition and XP3 are sweet also (but are not mono).

Whether any of this is necessary or not is partly what/where your comfort and skill level is at: where does it become too far and with too many variables (wind, elevation, temperature) for an ethical and reasonable shot.

J
Jig'n
I'm probably not going to be doing any long range shooting anytime soon, I've been practicing in the 100-150 range and have been pretty consistent. The 360 yd shot was just to see if I could hit the paper which I did on the 4th round.

Top Bottom