Looking for help with winter steelhead fishing techniques

T
Throbbit _Shane
DrTheopolis said:
While Oregon Fishing Forum welcomes buying, selling and trading between members, we do not want to risk allowing spammers or scammers the opportunity to take advantage of our valued members. To prevent this a member must meet strict criteria;
1. Be a member for a minimum of 30 days.
2. Be a contributing member by posting a minimum of 30 posts.
3. Website links are not allowed within pictures or videos until the aforementioned criteria is met.
4. No illegal activity will be tolerated, authorities will be notified immediately if such activity is suspected.
5. Members are allowed to add a website or blog site link to the signature after 30 days.
6.Chain letters, pyramid schemes and solicitations are not allowed.

How many of those did this guy break to get ad hits on his personal website?

And I'm the one getting heat?

You're out of your freaking minds.

He isn't selling or trading anything... And his "website" is more of a blog that is about his fishing adventures. Perhaps you should worry about your negative attitude more then members trying to get some help at catching their fist Steelhead. Just my 2 cents...

O
OnTheDrop
The sensitivity on here is amusing. You can't tell me that no one thought spam, and the Dr cracks a little joke...

T
Throbbit _Shane
SteelmonKiller20 said:
The sensitivity on here is amusing. You can't tell me that no one thought spam, and the Dr cracks a little joke...

I thought spam at first until I took the time to watch his youtube video and read what he has on his site. Sensitive or not cracking jokes helps no one... Especially a new member and some one new to our state.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
ModernOutdoorSportsman said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for opening the thread. I have made a short clip of my fishing technique the other evening at Barton Park. I have opened the video up for discussion and it would really help me continue to fish confidently if someone would confirm my setup to be decent as well as put in any tips or advice they may find to help.

Please comment in the video comments or on the website comment section.

http://youtu.be/NEXKR0qWOb0

Here is the full article with a few photos of the area.

Thanks in advance.
Per the Oregon Fishing Forum rules, please refrain from posting web/blog sites until after you have been here the required 30 days. You are, however welcome to include your web/blog site in your signature. Thanks.

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
DrTheopolis said:
While Oregon Fishing Forum welcomes buying, selling and trading between members, we do not want to risk allowing spammers or scammers the opportunity to take advantage of our valued members. To prevent this a member must meet strict criteria;
1. Be a member for a minimum of 30 days.
2. Be a contributing member by posting a minimum of 30 posts.
3. Website links are not allowed within pictures or videos until the aforementioned criteria is met.
4. No illegal activity will be tolerated, authorities will be notified immediately if such activity is suspected.
5. Members are allowed to add a website or blog site link to the signature after 30 days.
6.Chain letters, pyramid schemes and solicitations are not allowed.

How many of those did this guy break to get ad hits on his personal website?

And I'm the one getting heat?

You're out of your freaking minds.

Dr. Tattle Tale to the rescue!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Throbbit _Shane said:
Dr. Tattle Tale to the rescue!!
Seriously? In the interest of fair play...that is enough!
Let's all get back on topic and stay there, please. Thank you all!

H
halibuthitman
I would shorten that leader up to around 15-18 inches.. Ditch the worm and go with traditional rags or corky/yarn combos. I would also look for some smaller more intimate slots with obvious holding locations that are tighter. I enjoyed the spam comment... Witty- good luck-

Irishrover
Irishrover
Winter steelhead 24 pounder quite the video.

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
skunk said:
For the first vid, that setup will work but the spot looks wrong. Most fish float and jig or float and bait there. To drift fish you need to hit that current out near the bridge piling. Best spot there for drift fishing is just upstream of the bridge right above the ramp. There should be a little finger of rock you can stand on and cast from. The current flows closer to the bank up there. You'll see quite a few taken from under the bridge near the far piling by drift and jet boaters. So yes there are fish in that section.

Yes, skunk and I have discussed that stretch and drift boats indeed pick up fish there quite often.

I would probably avoid that slack water close-in and focus first on the seam where the faster water just brushes by. Probably run a float/jig through there, then start casting a drift rig out into the faster water, probing the bottom for the cover spots. As Hitman indicated, maybe shorten that leader a little. Also, if you are really dragging the bottom, maybe lighten the weight a tad so it is bouncing along.

Make each cast a little further out than the last and 'grid' the water, then move down. After covering the appropriate section with one method, try switching up to a spoon/spinner and do it again. After covering everything, move to another likely spot on the river and repeat.

Good luck.

Casting Call
Casting Call
" The Modern Outdoor Sportsman.com" Sponsered by "Bass Pro Shop January clearance sale" Who brought that poster to this fourm? (see the second vid) Let me check the OFF rules. I'll get back to you on the results. Tony

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'd like to thank the good dr for turning this into the first amusing thread I've followed on here for quite awhile. I just hope he hasn't left us for good.

HHM, is there a minimum length the leader can be from weight?

I mean hook from weight.......

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
jamisonace said:
HHM, is there a minimum length the leader can be from weight?

I mean hook from weight.......

Not that I'm aware of, if your fishing a jig, spoon, spinner or weighted fly.. The hook is on the weight. The intention of a shorter leader is to use the weight as part of the presentation, winter fish are lethargic and lazy, the weight "wakes" the fish, your rag or yarni is directly over the fish and the fight or flight instinct sets in.. Often the fish hammers the feces out of the rag. The trick is to use a large enough corky or rag to float high, not enough buoyancy and the presentation drags and becomes a snagging problem, you don't want that. When a leader is too long it's ineffective through all of the forward and middle drift, when drag finally hits the round corky at the tail out and swing the round corky creates high drag and sucks down into the strike zone, this is why so many fish are hooked at the tail end of a drift, or during the swing. A short leader and super buoyant presentation is effective the whole drift. Your weight will not spook any fish that wouldn't spook anyway, I've sen dozens of steelhead strike a green slinky.. And ignore the yarn. There's a ton of hall monitors on the forum, I'm sure if I'm wrong on the legalities of a short leader they will certainly point it out-

Chromatose
Chromatose
903ba0e6-9a0d-46f4-ac97-1879e6eef355_zps63c621e0.png

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
halibuthitman said:
There's a ton of hall monitors on the forum, I'm sure if I'm wrong on the legalities of a short leader they will certainly point it out-

I will play hall monitor today. There are some systems where ODFW placed rules on leader length where it can be no shorter than 18 inches from hook to weight. The Clackamas River is not one of those systems.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Excellent info hhm. Thx. And thx for the clarification chez.

halibuthitman said:
Not that I'm aware of, if your fishing a jig, spoon, spinner or weighted fly.. The hook is on the weight. The intention of a shorter leader is to use the weight as part of the presentation, winter fish are lethargic and lazy, the weight "wakes" the fish, your rag or yarni is directly over the fish and the fight or flight instinct sets in.. Often the fish hammers the feces out of the rag. The trick is to use a large enough corky or rag to float high, not enough buoyancy and the presentation drags and becomes a snagging problem, you don't want that. When a leader is too long it's ineffective through all of the forward and middle drift, when drag finally hits the round corky at the tail out and swing the round corky creates high drag and sucks down into the strike zone, this is why so many fish are hooked at the tail end of a drift, or during the swing. A short leader and super buoyant presentation is effective the whole drift. Your weight will not spook any fish that wouldn't spook anyway, I've sen dozens of steelhead strike a green slinky.. And ignore the yarn. There's a ton of hall monitors on the forum, I'm sure if I'm wrong on the legalities of a short leader they will certainly point it out-

I
idaho_steel
Looks like maybe you're using too much lead, you don't want to dredge the bottom just feel it tick every few feet. A bobber and jig is a great way to cover some water and be able to see the take. Good luck.

I
Ifishforfood
foul language and verbal attacks on other members will not be tolerated on o.f.f
Per the rules of Oregon Fishing Forum, consider this your first warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Well, first off I want to thank everyone for the help (defending my need for help) as well as supporting me as a newcomer. It is unfortunate I stirred up any bad feelings between anyone.

I just want to clarify a few things. I am an Outside Sales Rep for UnderCover Tonnoue Covers so I am not in the business of making money off of my website. The Bass Pro ads are affiliate links. That means bass pro found my site relevant for their product and offer me a small ( very small ) percentage if someone clicks it and proceeds to PURCHASE something through them. I have yet to make a single penny in a year. I am not looking to make money off of you guys by driving you to my site. I am simply trying to grow as an agler so that maybe one day I become good enough I have a decent following on my blog or videos. Probably wont happen but hey, I enjoy knowing people get to experience my catch with me. That is all. I also share a lot of videos I find interesting or informative for others to view instead of seeking them out on YouTube.

With that said, Thanks again for all of the input. The length of leader as well as the other techniques some have mentioned. I look forward to growing my knowledge with more help from the willing.

H
halibuthitman
Dont underestimate the blog, you will be suprised how well it grows if you have good content, but photos, a blog must have good photos. My blog and facebook page gets thousands of views a month, and im suprised to look at my stats and see i have loyal readers all over the world. Ive also recieved emails asking about places ive fished and been able to help people put together trips of a lifetime, very rewarding. Remember, a winner never quits.. And a quiter never wins-

O
OnTheDrop
ModernOutdoorSportsman said:
Well, first off I want to thank everyone for the help (defending my need for help) as well as supporting me as a newcomer. It is unfortunate I stirred up any bad feelings between anyone.

I just want to clarify a few things. I am an Outside Sales Rep for UnderCover Tonnoue Covers so I am not in the business of making money off of my website. The Bass Pro ads are affiliate links. That means bass pro found my site relevant for their product and offer me a small ( very small ) percentage if someone clicks it and proceeds to PURCHASE something through them. I have yet to make a single penny in a year. I am not looking to make money off of you guys by driving you to my site. I am simply trying to grow as an agler so that maybe one day I become good enough I have a decent following on my blog or videos. Probably wont happen but hey, I enjoy knowing people get to experience my catch with me. That is all. I also share a lot of videos I find interesting or informative for others to view instead of seeking them out on YouTube.

With that said, Thanks again for all of the input. The length of leader as well as the other techniques some have mentioned. I look forward to growing my knowledge with more help from the willing.

Good response Wes.

I still have to get you in the boat before winters are over...Keep plugging away and if you got questions on set ups etc you got my number.