Looking for help with winter steelhead fishing techniques

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Hey guys,

Thanks for opening the thread. I have made a short clip of my fishing technique the other evening at Barton Park. I have opened the video up for discussion and it would really help me continue to fish confidently if someone would confirm my setup to be decent as well as put in any tips or advice they may find to help.

Please comment in the video comments or on the website comment section.

Here is the full article with a few photos of the area.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
D
DrTheopolis
Were you using spam for bait?

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Huh?

T
Throbbit _Shane
DrTheopolis said:

Arnt you just a negative Nancy. If you watched the video you could clearly see him drift fishing a pink worm.

As far as that set up. Looks like it should work. Also if your new to Steelhead don't over look using Spoons and Spinners. Also bobbers are a great way to get into steelheading...

Good luck!

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Thank you for the answer as well as the response to Billy up there- didn't think it was a serious question. I have the upmost respect for the fish and rivers here- just moved in from Missouri and I am an avid Bass Fisherman. So, he was probably frustrated with my lack of experience and now feels better after his snide comment.

Thanks for your input. Shane

D
dozer365
velveta works better

D
dozer365
k on a serious note though I love the go pro and suggest you and I go fish and make some silver flash on camera... k k k k k back to the thread. that set up should work.. however, if you aren't just having your heart set on drift fishing. there are easier ways and techniqes to use. bobber and jig is great way to fish winters. hit me up anytime. try fishing the head and tail of "rapids/broken surface type water" you can catch fish on the bottom with all that "cobble" but more likely to find fish in the current break's i.e. cover.. however u will lose more gear... hope I have helped some hit me up with a pm if u have questions

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:

Another productive comment from the Doc. :applause:. Thanks for being rude to the newcomers.

M.O.S Welcome to the forum and THANK YOU for posting a video to share us.

Like Shane said, looks good but don't overlook spinners and spoons. They are a favorite of mine on that river.

Look for changes in the river current. That piece of water looked a tad slow for steel to me. Also I like to pin my corkie near my hook with a tooth pick so the presentation stays together.

Finally dont be afraid to move around and try new things. What your doing was good, but there is always room to try something else.

Try not to notice the cloudy weather folks we have a few. Thanks again

D
dozer365
ModernOutdoorSportsman said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for opening the thread. I have made a short clip of my fishing technique the other evening at Barton Park. I have opened the video up for discussion and it would really help me continue to fish confidently if someone would confirm my setup to be decent as well as put in any tips or advice they may find to help.

Please comment in the video comments or on the website comment section.

http://youtu.be/NEXKR0qWOb0

Here is the full article with a few photos of the area.

Thanks in advance.
also u said you'd like to think you could detect the bite from the bottom.... that is a trick, trust me. but when in doubt, SET THE HOOK!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
S
skunk
For the first vid, that setup will work but the spot looks wrong. Most fish float and jig or float and bait there. To drift fish you need to hit that current out near the bridge piling. Best spot there for drift fishing is just upstream of the bridge right above the ramp. There should be a little finger of rock you can stand on and cast from. The current flows closer to the bank up there. You'll see quite a few taken from under the bridge near the far piling by drift and jet boaters. So yes there are fish in that section.

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Thanks for your comment- I will make sure to keep that in mind when looking for water to fish! I will shoot you a message I am not afraid to meet others and share knowledge! Although Ill have to pay you back with Spring time bass fishing!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
DrTheopolis said:
I have issued an infraction for this rude comment. Consider this to be your first ​warning.

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
dozer365 said:
k on a serious note though I love the go pro and suggest you and I go fish and make some silver flash on camera... k k k k k back to the thread. that set up should work.. however, if you aren't just having your heart set on drift fishing. there are easier ways and techniqes to use. bobber and jig is great way to fish winters. hit me up anytime. try fishing the head and tail of "rapids/broken surface type water" you can catch fish on the bottom with all that "cobble" but more likely to find fish in the current break's i.e. cover.. however u will lose more gear... hope I have helped some hit me up with a pm if u have questions
Thanks for your comment- I will make sure to keep that in mind when looking for water to fish! I will shoot you a message I am not afraid to meet others and share knowledge! Although Ill have to pay you back with Spring time bass fishing!

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
troutmasta said:
Another productive comment from the Doc. :applause:. Thanks for being rude to the newcomers.

M.O.S Welcome to the forum and THANK YOU for posting a video to share us.

Like Shane said, looks good but don't overlook spinners and spoons. They are a favorite of mine on that river.

Look for changes in the river current. That piece of water looked a tad slow for steel to me. Also I like to pin my corkie near my hook with a tooth pick so the presentation stays together.

Finally dont be afraid to move around and try new things. What your doing was good, but there is always room to try something else.

Try not to notice the cloudy weather folks we have a few. Thanks again
Thank you very much, what an awesome resource here! I am excited to continue using it.

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
skunk said:
For the first vid, that setup will work but the spot looks wrong. Most fish float and jig or float and bait there. To drift fish you need to hit that current out near the bridge piling. Best spot there for drift fishing is just upstream of the bridge right above the ramp. There should be a little finger of rock you can stand on and cast from. The current flows closer to the bank up there. You'll see quite a few taken from under the bridge near the far piling by drift and jet boaters. So yes there are fish in that section.

I had a feeling I may have been downstream a bit. I did fish above the ramp for probably 20 cast and was worried my bait wasn't staying on the bottom so moved to slower water. Thanks for your input.

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
Raincatcher said:
I have issued an infraction for this rude comment. Consider this to be your first ​warning.

They dont mess around! lol That is a good thing- it keeps people from running folks off.

jamisonace
jamisonace
My first thought was spam too. I'll check out the video now but my initial thought was to ignore. The post really looks like spam. Give doc a break.

Raincatcher said:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
jamisonace said:
My first thought was spam too. I'll check out the video now but my initial thought was to ignore. The post really looks like spam. Give doc a break.
I totally understand your suspicions, I felt the same when I read the title. However, I don't just run around with a loaded Super Cyber Blaster and blast away willy nilly. I checked the video out and determined it was legit. It took less than two minutes to make that determination. The Doc has had several breaks recently. I did not ban him, I simply issued an infraction, which is akin to a hand slap.

D
DrTheopolis
While Oregon Fishing Forum welcomes buying, selling and trading between members, we do not want to risk allowing spammers or scammers the opportunity to take advantage of our valued members. To prevent this a member must meet strict criteria;
1. Be a member for a minimum of 30 days.
2. Be a contributing member by posting a minimum of 30 posts.
3. Website links are not allowed within pictures or videos until the aforementioned criteria is met.
4. No illegal activity will be tolerated, authorities will be notified immediately if such activity is suspected.
5. Members are allowed to add a website or blog site link to the signature after 30 days.
6.Chain letters, pyramid schemes and solicitations are not allowed.

How many of those did this guy break to get ad hits on his personal website?

And I'm the one getting heat?

You're out of your freaking minds.

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
DrTheopolis said:
While Oregon Fishing Forum welcomes buying, selling and trading between members, we do not want to risk allowing spammers or scammers the opportunity to take advantage of our valued members. To prevent this a member must meet strict criteria;
1. Be a member for a minimum of 30 days.
2. Be a contributing member by posting a minimum of 30 posts.
3. Website links are not allowed within pictures or videos until the aforementioned criteria is met.
4. No illegal activity will be tolerated, authorities will be notified immediately if such activity is suspected.
5. Members are allowed to add a website or blog site link to the signature after 30 days.
6.Chain letters, pyramid schemes and solicitations are not allowed.

How many of those did this guy break to get ad hits on his personal website?

And I'm the one getting heat?

You're out of your freaking minds.

I had no bad intentions- I am here to learn more and was not simply trying to get "ad hits".