Looking for a place on the Sandy from when I was a kid.

T
Trint
My stepdad used to take me to a place on the Sandy River that had a wireline with a cart attached that crossed the river. This place was right next to a bridge or a pipeline crossing the river. If I remember correctly, there was a short hike from a little parking area, and you could follow the trail even further down the river if you wanted. I will be visiting the area the first of June for the first time since 1996. I'm sure much has changed and the wireline may not even be there anymore, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I would be truly grateful. I'm very excited and can't wait to show my kids some of these spots. If there are anymore areas on the river that we should visit while we are there, please feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! We have a huge Sandy River fan base here, so I'm sure someone can help. There have been many drastic changes in that river recently, but I'm hoping some of the "old timers" will chime in for you. ;)

T
Trint
Thank you very much. I forgot to mention that the wireline was suspended about 15 above the water.

F
FishFinger
Based on your clues, perhaps your thinking about Dodge park and the confluence of Bull Run. There was a Boy Scout camp up river from there years ago and also a pipe which I think was used for power generation and day lighted into Roslyn Lake. Which no longer exists.

T
Trint
That does sound familiar. It also seems like a little further down the trail, there were some waterfalls and I may be crazy, but I seem to remember old cars in the river. W

T
Trint
Would anyone happen to know what the cable and cart were used for, just out of curiosity?

D
DrTheopolis
They have some on the Clack -- pretty sure they were to cross the river before many bridges existed.

B
BamaDan
I'm new by most folks' standards, but it sounds to me like you're talking about the Pipeline Hole. I've only seen it from a distance since, from what I understand, poor behavior by a handful of people forced the landowner to cut off access completely. It's a green bridge with a big pipe running through it, can't speak for a cart though. It's just downstream from Dodge Park, but I wouldn't recommend risking it. I went for a peek one day and was greeted by a Clackamas County Sheriff's Deputy who was on his way to hand out some paperwork to some other guys who tried trespassing to fish it.
But he DID tell me there's a legal way to access miles of river downstream and gave me directions, but I won't try to repeat them since it just got me wandering down some old game trails a few miles back in the woods.