Looking at new 8wts.

S
steelhead_slayer
I need a new 8wt rod for my steelhead addiction. I am looking for a low cost rod with a lifetime warranty. TFO looks to have some of the cheaper rods out there(that still include the warranty). Redington left a bad impression on me after my rod recently fell apart. I wanted to post on here and get opinions, and thoughts from you guys(and girls) first though.

Last edited:
M
Mad dog
My sons and I own several redingtons and for the price with the warranty they offer it's not bad for a low cost rod. David just had one replaced for free that he has owned for at least 7-8 years....no questions asked!!! He broke it trying to hoss a big fish on the upper Williamson, it was only a 5wt, but they replaced it with no hassle! I hear Echo is making some entry level rods that are pretty decent! My youngest has an Echo reel and it's not to bad for a lesser expensive fly reel. I am going to check out some Echo rods soon!

S
steelhead_slayer
Good to hear Redington replaces rods without a hassle. I'm still considering getting one, but the lifetime warranty is a must. My buddy snap my rod and replaced it with a redington crosswater. It did good for 2 years on many big fish, but then snapped in half from just false casting it. I was actually just looking at echos as well. Thanks for responding

T
TimberTodd
Not sure what your budget is. I just bought a Echo Ion 10' 8wt. This is my first steelhead flyrod. I am still pretty green when it comes to flyfishing, but so far I really like it.

S
steelhead_slayer
Awesome Randy thanks for links and suggestions

V
Van
For a sub $200 rod the Echo Ion is pretty hard to beat. You will get a great warranty and a very good price. I own 4 echo rods and for the price i dont think they can be beat. Plus, it is a local company. The only drawback, imo, is they are a tad heavy. I was planning on picking up a 8wt Ion to replace the cheapie Crosswater i grabbed on clearance at Dick's. As fond of them as i am, they are a entry/mid level rod. I have plans to pick up a Sage One in a 8wt for my main rod. Until then the Echo will serve well.

Last edited:
J
john montana
Echo makes a great rod. I have several and my echo 2 saltwater (they don't make it any more) is probably my second favorite rod. Still kills me that I bought a six weight instead of a seven, just too small for what I do. I love casting that rod though.

I have been impressed with the orvis access in an 8. They run a little more money, but I bet the clearwater is nice based on what I know of the access.

That said, I join the crowds of echo guys here...I would definitely pick up an echo in that price range. Good luck man...you are welcome to cast any of mine to get a feel...but if I were you I would just go see don at river city. He has a ton of rods n that price range and you could lawn cast them all side by side.

S
steelhead_slayer
The Echo Ion 10ft is looking pretty sweet. I have 8wt line so I debating whether I should get the 7 or 8wt rod(leaning toward the 7wt).

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
Personally, I've had the Echo Ion 10 footer, for a day! Then returned it for a 9 footer. The 10' is really heavy to cast, all...... day..... long. My go to now steelhead rod is a 9'6" but have the Echo 9' as a backup or spare for others without one. Don't know if that really helps but I personally think that a 9'6" is about as big as you need to get.

S
steelhead_slayer
Cool I was wondering about that. Also do you overline it?

F
FlyBum
With the Echo rods I wouldn't over line it. It's not way too fast, and loads just fine with the correct weight line.

S
steelhead_slayer
Copy