Lincoln City area

C
CodyW1119
My family and I are heading to the Lincoln City area in a few days. A buddy and I are thinking of doing some fishing on the Salmon River. Just bank fishing. Was planning On throwing lures, anyone have sugestions on what I should use, or where about is good bank access. Also looking for something to do with my kid durring the day, maybe trout fishing or digging for clams. I have a small crab trap is there anywhere to drop it from a pier or dock?any input would help.

C
chrisohm
Look into Big Creek Res for trout fishing with your son. There is really no decent crabbing in Lincoln City unless you have a boat, even then it is still a fruitless effort. You can dig for clams in Siletz Bay, you can find butters and purple varnish. Butters are few and far between but there, maybe even a few cockles. The Salmon river has a ton of bank fishing available but it gets crowded on weekends. Do some map research of the area. Lures can work but it is a high pressure system and a small river as well. Drifting eggs, bobber n bait or small spoons and spinners can work. The better crabbing will be in Newport as well as the clamming. Regarding the Salmon River, if you can find an area above the hatchery to fish, and there are some, you might have better luck, fewer people up that way...

troutdude
troutdude
At this time of year, your trout prospects are minimal. Big Creek is great in the Spring. But, lousy in fall. The one exception is that you may get a LOT of perch. But, they aren't more than 7 or 8 inches. So, might be good for a kid.

Town Lake, for trout, may be a bit better. It's north of Pacific City. Or, you could try the park on the east side of Devil's Lake...in Lincoln City. There won't be many trout; but there could be holdovers from the Spring plantings.

Those are pretty much all of your choices, in (or near) Lincoln City. But, if you head farther up the coast...you'll find more lakes.

I defer to others, in regards to your other questions.

C
CodyW1119
Thanks for the tips.I will do some searching on google maps..i might make the trip to Newport to try my luck crabbing on the public fishing pier. Chicken a good bait ? and how long should I let them soak? Incomming tide?
And trout dude thanks for the report you always have the info on trout fishing no matter what part of the state....

troutdude
troutdude
You're very welcome. BTW, Big Creek Reservoirs #1 & #2 are on the very north end of Newport. The turnOFF, is the very first road to the east, going north from Wally World (i.e. Walmart). The water treatment plant, is where Res. #1 is. There may be a trout, left in there. And there's bass. But, it's difficult to bank fish due to weeds. Res. #2, is much larger and is your better bet for trout and perch.

There is also Olalla Reservior, about 10 minutes inland from Newport (OFF of Hwy. 20). Just look for the Olalla Golf Course sign, and drive past the course to the Res. There may even be a few surplus steelies in that lake. On a map, the lake sits between Toledo and Siletz.

Here is a somewhat comprehensive list of lakes in Lincoln County. But, do your research--some of these appear, to me, to be private lakes. Don't get yourself popped for trespassing.

http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/oregon/lincoln/

Last edited: