Leader length-Dodge

W
WATERKL39
Would anyone have suggestions on leader length-float fishing at Dodge Park! I have some pink worm jigs on maxima ultra-green 12lb leader. About 20-24". I hope the 12lb leader will be fine since I am new at this. I understand that when the water runs lower and clearer I may want a smaller leader (10lb). Thank you for the help!:)

D
DrTheopolis
For bobber fishing, assuming you're using a slip float with a bobberstop, it's not that huge an issue. A shorter leader (12-18") makes for easier casting, and allows you to fish shallow water, as well.

I'm sure there will be a variety of opinions.

S
steelhead_slayer
That length would work. Clearer water it may help to go lighter though

M
mikeee2362
I've been using 12 lb leaders, as long as it's flourocarbon its invisible for the most part, but super clear water I go to 10. I like to go 24-30" leader with a jig unless you need to go shallower than that. It just gives you a bit more distance from the big ol' hunk of lead above it.

D
DrTheopolis
mikeee2362 said:
It just gives you a bit more distance from the big ol' hunk of lead above it.

In my observation/studies/mostlyopinion, it's not a big factor for winters, or if the water has any tint. Low clear water is a whole nother animal. Float fishing becomes much more difficult in terms of stealth in the gin clear summer stuff. I pretty much skip it anymore in small water.