Laying down some ink!

A
alm21
Finally found a hatchery fish! It also happens to be my first fish caught on a spoon and my second time trying (promptly lost my spoon after catching the fish). Plus, I broke my rod tip on my IM8 Buzz (caught a bush) the day before so I pulled out the Lamiglas that I wasn’t using because it was too soft. However, since then, I put Fireline on my reel and I got to thinking the Lamiglas could be a good fit. Well, it did great with this setup. After I caught the hatchery fish, I switched to drifting eggs and on the second cast, I felt a nibble so I left it drift a bit more and then I could feel the bite, hookset! This fish ended up being a wild fish about the same size but gave me twice the battle! It was a short time on the water with nobody around and two fish, awesome.

Steelhead3.jpg

K
Kevinb5688
I rarely try spoons, i have no confidence in them and thats half the battle.
With spinners i know to cast straight upstream and reel back to me slow. But spoons dont seem to work right for me that way. I have drifted them but have only caught one fish on a spoon. And actually with that fish i cast into current and just jet it wobble down never reeling at all. How do u fish them?

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to get one on a spoon. Nice fish!

S
steelhead_slayer
way to go. wish i was back up there getting some chrome

A
alm21
Thanks guys! I was inspired to try spoons because of their history of working and talking with guys that have used them. It was the fact that you drift them made made me excited to try it out. I cast them in the current and let'm roll, reeling in gradually, sometimes not at all depending on the current. Today, I casted into some mild rapids that dropped into a pool. The fish hit it close to the end of the drift. It was a pretty soft take which was surprising. Oh, I used sand shrimp gel too. What was interesting to me was that after I caught that fish, I thought there were probably more fish so I made a few more casts before getting snagged. I thought that the spoon may have worked for the one fish, but others holding may prefer something different. So, I switched to eggs with a mad river pill and sure enough, it was the ticket.

J
Johnny Southpaw
Thanks for the report and NICE FISH!

N
nativefish
congrats bro