Late start, but got out today and went 0-1...I blame you!

C
ChezJfrey
After losing one of the bigger ones last time in tight quarters, and reading some opinions that steelhead are not as leader shy when tossing spinners/spoons, rather than bait, I thought if I'm gonna try the same spot, I'd tie on 15 lb. test for my leader.

Also, after having a treble bend out once due to their usually flimsier wire, I'd also use some beefier Siwash, single hooks. I know that a few suggested that after I had some hookset issues, but since then, I actually was able to bank a few on trebles; I think it came down to just needing a more authoritative hookset. Instead of the trout-like bend, just lay into it; not quite bass-style, but somewhere in between, ya know?

Anyway, so that was my plan...15 lb. leader, spoon with Siwash, a bit tighter on the drag due to heavier line. Got a hit around 7:00 p.m. and this fish was pretty hot. First some acrobats, then headed downriver, but didn't get very far. Took some line, but not out-of-control-burn-the-reel. Pulled the fish back, it spooks, some more acrobats, then heads out again, taking back the line...confidence is high at this point. I haven't had to chase at all as my feet are still planted in the same spot I hooked this thing.

Pull it back inches at a time thinking it's in the bag. Fish struggles a bit more with some head shakes and I let it fight, just keeping a bit of pressure...then, boing! My spoon jets out of the water and launches into the trees behind me. Argh!

So, that Siwash advice was hogwash! Guess that's what I get for taking advice from the internet!

LOL...just kidding. I totally think it's solid advice and will continue using singles...it's fishin' and fish will spit hooks from time-to-time :)

C
chrisohm
sounds like a good time! Good thing you didn't get a spoon in yer eye! Man that would suck...you would have to change your name to SpoonPirate!

C
ChezJfrey
chrisohm said:
sounds like a good time! Good thing you didn't get a spoon in yer eye! Man that would suck...you would have to change your name to SpoonPirate!

You make a good point and I think it gives another good reason to wear those polarized shades. I always wear them no matter the weather -- rain or shine.

D
dtikey
a lot of the time when fish are lost on spoons/spinners it is due to the hook locking up and when the fish does the death roll it pulls itself right out or bends due to no movement.If you do use lures a lot you might be intrested and would be worth the while to purchase spin tech rotating treble hooks.These hooks work and hook to land ratio will go up because the fish can't just roll to the side and pop the hook out.

K
Kevinb5688
Fish always come off, no matter what you do, just makes it fun.
I lose more fish in current because you have the added weight of the water resistance. When i hook fish on a lure with slower water i usually dont lose them.

R
rippin fish lips
ChezJfrey said:
You make a good point and I think it gives another good reason to wear those polarized shades. I always wear them no matter the weather -- rain or shine.

yeahhh!! One time i was floating the mac last year.... I was finishing in my retrieve and wham!! my spoon gets hammered on the surface, i set the hook but miss... the spoon comes back and lands right on my buddied eye lid!!the top one that is... Hook only went through right up to the barb, no harm was done! Was a close and scary call!!

I felt so bad for the rest of the day!!

C
chrisohm
rippin fish lips said:
yeahhh!! One time i was floating the mac last year.... I was finishing in my retrieve and wham!! my spoon gets hammered on the surface, i set the hook but miss... the spoon comes back and lands right on my buddied eye lid!!the top one that is... Hook only went through right up to the barb, no harm was done! Was a close and scary call!!

I felt so bad for the rest of the day!!

Note to self, bring safety goggles when fishing with you! Wow man, that is crazy...good thing yer buddy didn't make you swim downstream!