Large mouth?

F
Fishgal
Getting ready to try the ponds out by Veneta dam.

Are there any other good large mouth spots close to Eugene/Springfield with relatively clean water? I typically go for smallies and trout but caught the LM bug in Minnesota and finally found my favorite lure again after all these years.

Also, are the LM here ok to eat?

Thanks all!

plumbertom
plumbertom
There are undoubtedly bucket mouths in Kirk pond below the Fern Ridge Dam.
I am assuming that is where you are referencing.
That water is from The Long Tom River, and it is a fairly short (about 50 miles) tributary to the Willamette River.
Aside from agricultural runoff pollution from fertilizers and pesticides, it is fairly clean water.
My understanding of the Willamette River is that there is Mercury contamination in the Willamette.
This is mostly reported from Salem downriver, likely because there are less testing stations up river.
As for how much, and whether it is from natural sources or miming/industrial, I don't know. But keep in mind that large mouth (small mouth also) do accumulate mercury. Probably best to limit consumption to no more than a couple of times a month, and not at all if pregnant.
You can find a guide here;
https://www.eregulations.com/oregon/fishing/advisories-consumption-guidelines

Reactions: Fishgal and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Good lookin' out @plumbertom!

While I've never done it...I've always wanted to try the spots where Hwy. 126 crosses over the creeks that flow, into the south end of Fern Ridge Reservoir. That might be a place worth a try or two.

@Fishgal good luck and let us know how you do!

P.S. The Long Tom below the Fern Ridge Dam should also produce both bucketmouths and smallies (and there are large carp in there too).

copperjohn
copperjohn
Kirk pond right across from the Dam, does have large mouth bass. I'm unsure if their is a advisory or not for eating the fish. I've eaten a couple I caught out of there, and they seemed just fine. You might try the Fern Ridge Lake as well. I've Caught bass in there too.

F
Fishgal
Thank you all for the info!

I tried both Kirk pond and the Long Tom right there yesterday. The gate was still closed (any idea when it opens?). I walked the length of the Kirk pond shoreline. It was very weedy - not really conducive to bobber fishing. It was also almost hot with bright sunshine and mid-day, so I wasn’t expecting much. Should have brought my fly rod.

Got a couple of hits with a nightcrawler and bobber in the Long Tom. Didn’t see what hit, but there was some fish activity a few times near the surface. Water was very cloudy.

Need to go back either earlier or later in the day.

Also stopped by to check out Golden Gardens. Pretty area. Good spot, I figure, to try a fly rod.

Thanks again!

Reactions: troutdude
plumbertom
plumbertom
GG pond has a small population of LM Bass. And it does produce some fair sized, for Oregon, bass.
But because the population is small I advise against anything other than CP&R fishing for them there.
Of course that is your choice.
I've found the Long Tom below Fern Ridge to have a fair population of bass as well as small crappie and a thriving population of smaller bullheads and there are also plenty of carp in there, I've seen some that I would swear are as long as my, admittedly short, leg.
So there is no shortage of possibilities for what was eating your crawlers.

Reactions: troutdude