Lamiglass rods for spring chinook

W
WATERKL39
I just purchased a lamiglass 10' 6" spinning rod rated @ 6-12 pounds. Not sure if this rod will have enough backbone float fishing for spring chinook. I was informed by a sporting outfit to put a good reel on it and 30 pound braid with a smaller leader and it would be just fine if I was careful. Can anybody tell me if this will work? Thanx!

S
Steel4life
yes it will work, but you should be careful. i have a 10' that i spool with 10# and it catches salmon but i play the fish for a good 15mins or more depending on the size of the fish. just play the fish for awhile and it should do fine. and i havent caught any salmon over 15# anything much bigger i feel like my pole might break. otherwise lami's are my fave and they are great poles

S
Steeliekiller
I've got a northXnorthwest rated 8-12# an have pulled a 25# Chinook an multiple 20# Chinook. Just have to play them.

troutdude
troutdude
What you have, makes for a great steelhead rod. Get a second spool, with some lighter line for those fish. Then, you'll have a dual-purpose set up.

M
mccarrel
Especially if you're fishing a river with Natives you should have something with more backbone for springers so you don't have to completely exhaust the fish to get it in. You don't need anything expensive for a salmon float rod. You can get a Celilo for pretty cheap.

A
alm21
That would be good for steelhead and fine for coho but you'll be cork-bent with a chinook. It can be done but not ideal and McCarrel is right, not the way to play out a fish that could end up being wild. And your rod may not last long either.

S
steelheadstalker31
I think the problem you will run into will be that effectively float fishing Springers often requires the use of 3oz float set ups. That rod would have trouble casting that. It would be fine for drift fishing or throwing spinners.