Lake Munsel trout

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
primary goal today was to take my dog 'Pepper' out for an extended outing on the back of my kayak, fishing was secondary objective.

she was great on the back, let me get right to trolling, stayed inside the rails and only tried to climb over and join me in the seat once- it was just after I had bonked and put a nice 16" rainbow in my cooler/bag...also let several small coho go unharmed....some good sized fish holding in 40-50' layer, planning to take my Attwood Mini-rigger along next time so I can run some lures right past their noses...cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
J
Jay Herb
Roger,
thanks for the report and the picture, I haven't fished Munsel lake in many years.
It's nice that you could take your pup with you, do you have some more pictures of your kayak? Iam interested in a fishing kayak.

thanks, Jay

Troutski
Troutski
What a great lake, don't pass up the Perch opportunities that lake has to offer...

Chuck

T
TimberTodd
Great picture of a happy pup. Thanks for the report.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Jay Herb said:
Roger,
thanks for the report and the picture, I haven't fished Munsel lake in many years.
It's nice that you could take your pup with you, do you have some more pictures of your kayak? Iam interested in a fishing kayak.

thanks, Jay

Jay- yes, I just finished my trolling motor and downrigger mounts so I need to take some new pictures with all my fishing rigging in place, I will post some pictures in the next few days...cheers, roger

R
RoryONeal
I love going to this lake although I never seem to catch anything other than rainbows there. I am happy that this lake is almost always empty though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Munsel is great fun and usually very quiet, especially early mornings. at least one nesting pair of Ospreys usually putting on a fishing show.

I used my downrigger Saturday and the fish down at 40-50' are larger coho smolts, 8" or so, more smaller coho are shallower, I suspect a lot get kept by people fishing for trout and not expecting to hook a small salmon that must be released ("it's just a shiny rainbow, right?")...I did grab 2 more nice Rainbows (12" and 14") on worm tipped wedding rings on my long-line pole at about 15'....the last trout stocking each year at Munsel is in mid-May, so the rainbows are getting scarce by July....roger