Lafayette Locks question

P
Pokey
Just wondering if any one has fished here and if so for what? We just drove by and was wondering if it will be worth trying tomorrow.

Thanks
Paula

H
hydropsyche
I fished it when the coho were thick about 4 years ago in late fall all I caught were smallmouth in the 16" range. So yeah there are some fish there. The locals also said there were some large cats. If your lucky you could catch a mastodon bone.

Reactions: fishtales
C
clemmon18
Smallmouth

Smallmouth

Pokey said:
Just wondering if any one has fished here and if so for what? We just drove by and was wondering if it will be worth trying tomorrow.

Thanks
Paula

Was there last Sunday and got a nice sized 14" smallmouth just above the rapids. Be careful though, lots of stuff on the bottom to get snagged on, as I lost a few swim shads and worms. There was someone there fly fishing right before me and they had no luck.

bass
bass
clemmon18 said:
Was there last Sunday and got a nice sized 14" smallmouth just above the rapids. Be careful though, lots of stuff on the bottom to get snagged on, as I lost a few swim shads and worms. There was someone there fly fishing right before me and they had no luck.

Thanks for the report and welcome to OFF. I have never been to the locks. Would it be easy to roll a kayak on a cart down to the water and put in either above or below the rapids?

C
clemmon18
You would just have to take it down a kinda narrow trail for maybe 50 ft. Should be pretty easy if it isn't too wide of a cart. I would put in below the rapids since the water is pretty low now. Should be a nice float down to Dayton or further I would think but I've haven't done it yet.

I've just recently found this site after landing my first springer earlier this year and really want to get more into sport. Unfortunately, growing up on Three Rivers just outside of Hebo, I didn't take advantage of all the great fishing in my area as a youngster, besides hitting Town & Hebo Lake every couple weeks. Looking forward to all the great knowledge shared here!

bass
bass
clemmon18 said:
You would just have to take it down a kinda narrow trail for maybe 50 ft. Should be pretty easy if it isn't too wide of a cart. I would put in below the rapids since the water is pretty low now. Should be a nice float down to Dayton or further I would think but I've haven't done it yet.

I've just recently found this site after landing my first springer earlier this year and really want to get more into sport. Unfortunately, growing up on Three Rivers just outside of Hebo, I didn't take advantage of all the great fishing in my area as a youngster, besides hitting Town & Hebo Lake every couple weeks. Looking forward to all the great knowledge shared here!

Thanks for the information. Not sure I will ever get there but I always like to tuck away this kind of information. Good luck with your fishing!