Kayak sturgeon fishing report

bass
bass
I fished the Willamette today and I could have had a great day but ended up with just an OK day. I caught 7 sturgeon, but 5 were between 40 and 45" which makes for a nice tussle in the kayak. The first spot I went to produced 3 keepers and a shaker, but then the bite stopped after a bit and so I moved rather than wait.

The next spot was the thorn in my side. My big failure on the day was not bringing enough lead. I found a spot with a lot of current that was loaded with sturgeon and they were biting like crazy but I did not have enough lead to really hold the bottom well. I would have to walk my bait back so far back to get the 8oz of lead to stick that I had a hard time get a good hook set. I must have had a dozen really nice fish bite, I would tighten up and start reeling (circle hooks), line starts ripping off the spool, somewhere between 15 and 20 seconds later I feel some nice head shaking and then slack. I knew I should move, but there were so many really nice sized fish in that spot that I just couldn't. I did catch a keeper and a shaker at that spot but I did not do it justice.

I spent most of the day punishing myself in that spot before moving back to my first spot where the current was not nearly as fast. First drop down a shaker, second drop down a nice keeper sized, third drop down snag. By the time I rigged back up it seemed like a bunch of tiny fish had moved in. I would feel them biting the bait but I could not hook them. So I decided to pack it in.

Overall not a great day compared to some of the numbers some of the folks have been posting but I think I was just a couple ounces of lead short of being one of those people. Oh well, the painful lessons are the easiest to remember.

Here are just a couple of pics. I was really hoping for an over sized, but keeper sized fish were all about in this range and they did fight really well including a couple of jumpers which is always fun.

zB3Mf.jpg

acNxg.jpg

T
tomriker
that looks like fun in the yak, do you ever keep any of them?

bass
bass
tomriker said:
that looks like fun in the yak, do you ever keep any of them?

Sturgeon fishing in the yak is a blast. I only C&R fish for sturgeon, but even if I wanted to keep one I couldn't. The lower Willamette is C&R only right now. It was only open for retention for two days in February. The Columbia is closed to retention for the rest of the year as well. I just love going out there for the adventure.

T
TJR_84
Great post, that looks like a killer spot that you are fishing!!!

bass
bass
TJR_84 said:
Great post, that looks like a killer spot that you are fishing!!!

What the picture does not convey is the serenity that can only come from having someone run their leaf blower 50 feet away from you for a couple of hours :)

J
joesnuffy
I'd like to get back over there once more this year but I don't think I'll make it. I love fishing for Sturgeon and I've caught a few at that spot :)

bass
bass
That is a pretty darn good spot plus I like the fact that I am usually out of the way of the powerboats at that spot - an important point in our line of fishing ;)

J
joesnuffy
Jammer really enjoys PBs in that spot as well :p

bass
bass
joesnuffy said:
Jammer really enjoys PBs in that spot as well :p

That is funny. Most of the year the power boats don't pass through there, but during springer season that shelf gets hit hard (and so did Michael). I don't fish that spot during springer season. I was there the day he got hit, but safely on the other side of the river :)

Hey Noah, if you see this clear out your PM box.