Just moved to Oregon... looking for someone to learn from

C
carveyjo
Hi everyone,

I'm Jordan. I just moved to Oregon a few weeks ago. I'm 23 and graduated from Michigan State last year. I joined this forum to seek help in fishing somewhat near Portland. I'm willing to drive 1-6 hours for fishing spots but would prefer to start off fishing within 1-2 hours of Portland.

I'm interested in fly fishing and am trying to figure out where to go.

Also, I could really use advice on fly fishing rod size, reel, and gear to use up here. I've only fly fished a few times when I lived in Colorado but want to change that and go as much as possible now that I lost my job.

I would really appreciate any guidance on basic fly fishing knowledge and advice where to go. Again, my knowledge is very basic at this point and some help would be greatly appreciated.

T
Trout-tacular!
Welcome to OFF and Oregon,

First OFF I would like to say you're question is kinda vague. Second search the site, there's a ton of info on here. That said, more info from you is needed in order to get a better idea on how to answer your question(s): Are you going after trout, salmon, steelhead, panfish, carp....? Each one is going to yield different answer(s), both for the rod question and for the location question.

I'll give you my opinion on rod choice, but remember its what I think. Its hard to beat a 9' 5wt. Its a work horse, as for reel that depends, but find one that balances with the rod.

Then again....around my parts (Central Oregon) I find I can't live without my medium action 8'6" 4wt for a handful of rivers I hit for trout...nor can I go without my medium fast 9' 5wt work horse on some of the bigger waters and heftier redbands.... but then again when I want to throw streamers I wouldn't think twice about grabbing my fast action 6wt. And then there's steelhead time, gotta go with my 11' 7/8wt switch for those summer Deschutes steelies.... small stream tributary fishing - 8' 3wt.....

I kid......, but not really. I do have a bad habit of having a lot of rods when I could probably pare down, but I believe in the right tool for the right job. What I'm saying is...it depends on what type of fishing you're planning on.

Last edited:
C
carveyjo
I would like to fish for Trout, Steelhead, and Salmon. Is there a size/weight rod which will somewhat work for both?

Where would you suggest to catch the Steelhead closest to Portland? Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
The closet steel and salmon streams are the Sandy, and the Clackamas. The upper Clack also has some decent trout fishing.

In regards to rods; one rod will absolutely NOT be enough for all of those species. In VERY general terms: folks seem to use a 2 - 4 wt. for small stream trout, 4 - 6 for larger streams/larger trout, 6 - 8 for summer steel, 8 or 9 for winter steel or Coho, and a 9 or 10 weight rod for Spring or Fall Nooks. But, that is largely based upon what I've read on here, in books, asking questions, etc. Hopefully others will chime in on this thread, and shed some more light.

More suggestions (in addition the recommendation, to read all you can on here):

1. Visit your local fly shops, and ask questions

2. Get copies of: "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon" and "Fishing in Oregon"

3. If you have the $$; go fishing with a good guide--you'll learn a lot in a short period of time

4. Go to fishing/sporting shows

C
cowboysfan
Welcome to OFF carveyjo glad to have ya here!

C
carveyjo
Thanks troutdude. Any suggestions on a fly fishing guide for steelhead?

@ Cowboysfan, thanks! Go Cowboys! I grew up in Dallas for 17 years.

J
john montana
If I had to own only one rod for OR I would own a 7 wt. you won't feel crazy over gunned on the D, and it will get by just fine for most summer steelhead. I used a 9 ft 6 inch 7 wt for coho in Alaska, though if I chase them around here I tend to go 8 wt or now, a 7 wt switch rod.

C
carveyjo
Being in Portland and hearing all the chatter about Deschutes is there any place similar to action heading up North in Washington? Suggestions?