Just making sure

B
Berg03
I am going to try plunking on the willy for the first time tomorrow. I have read up and watched a lot of videos, just want to make sure I have the right set up.

40lb mainline (mono) down to a 3 way swivel (read i can have it go down to a second 3 way for 2 seperate hooks out there is this true?) then about a 2 ft leader to my weight on the bottom. Off the swivel i was going to run about 6ft of leader (20-25lb) to my spin n glo w/ some roe. If i put a qwick fish on it wont it be bouncing off the bottom? or am i overthinking that?

P
pinstriper
Berg03 said:
I am going to try plunking on the willy for the first time tomorrow. I have read up and watched a lot of videos, just want to make sure I have the right set up.

40lb mainline (mono) down to a 3 way swivel (read i can have it go down to a second 3 way for 2 seperate hooks out there is this true?) then about a 2 ft leader to my weight on the bottom. Off the swivel i was going to run about 6ft of leader (20-25lb) to my spin n glo w/ some roe. If i put a qwick fish on it wont it be bouncing off the bottom? or am i overthinking that?

I'm the opposite of knowledgeable, but I'd be thinking about a sliding sinker that gets the rig down, but lets you feel when the fish takes the hook. You don't want the first thing the fish feels to have to move the weight before you know anything is going on. And if they feel the resistance of the weight they can spit the bait before you get the chance to set the hook.

I think the function of the spin n glo is to lift your hook/bait off the very bottom.

Someone who knows will educate us both on this.

J
Jordy
Im guessing you are fishing at Meldrum or clackamette park?

J
Jordy
If so I would recommed in this order... mainline - slider on mainline - swivel -2ft leader -small black corkie - 2ft leader - very small spin'n'glo -2/0 gami wide gap (barbless) - roe (quarter size).

The extra corkie and swivel in the middle gets you a better presentation when the water is this low.

Keep an eye on the tide exchange. Be there 2 hours before and after and the fish will be snapping!

Let us know how you do.

J
Jordy
Also remember plunking is a social thing. Most guys are there because they like chatting with their neighbors. Ask for help, there's nothing better to do 90% of the day.