Jetty fishing question

F
FishNinja
I'm thinking about taking my teenage son out fishing from the jetties in Newport. I've found lots of good info about tactics but little about tides. What tide is best?

18406ej
18406ej
FishNinja,

I hope that if you do go out with your son you will seriously consider the dangers of jetty fishing, and that if you still chose to venture out onto these death traps you will make your son wear a helmet and at least three flotation devices. Jetties somehow give greatly enhanced statistical likelihood of being swept away by a sneaker wave, falling and bashing your head on the rip-rap and being taken on a sea cruise by an undertow.

Not a lecture, just some thoughts on how the very worst level of human pain and suffering possible is only brought on by the loss of a child, how difficult it is on a family when Dad dies in a preventable incident and how dead inside a wife would feel if both losses were incurred.

Sincerely,

EJ

Reactions: troutmasta
T
troutmasta
Dang that was a little over the top:confused:

Jetty fishing is great!!
I prefer to fish the high slack tide, this is when there is the most amount of salt water in the bay so the ocean species come the farthest in.
I would recommend starting with the incoming tide. Also I would fish the south jetty as it is much safer.
Ive had great luck OFF both the ocean side and the bay side.
Good Luck-

Drive safe.
TM

Last edited:
18406ej
18406ej
Troutmasta,

You know that I am never argumentative so don't take this post as such:

Sorry you thought it was over the top, but I stand by my thoughts with all sincerity. There are many more jetty-based tragedies than there are of other land-based angling locations if you adjust the jetty to land-based ratio accordingly. Even you give an opinion that the South Jetty "is much safer" than the other option, such cautions not typically mentioned when discussing the merits of say, surf fishing. While it is, surprisingly enough, legal to be on a jetty in Oregon, there is obviously sufficient concern for the Corps of Engineers to conspicuously post the jetties with large warning signs. The Coast Guard goes so far as to use their boat-mounted PA systems to warn any person seen upon a jetty when a patrol passes by.

FishNinja didn't mention how old his teenager is, and FishNinja is probably one of the most protective parents society could ask for. Still, there will be many others reading this thread that might be considering taking their child out onto a jetty, oblivious to the danger of such an undertaking. Hopefully my post here will give some parents pause to reconsider.

In regard to the mention of death and its effects of others, I hope that these open and honest descriptions will be a of strong influence to those less-informed readers mentioned above. God forbid anyone lose a child, but this tragedy occurs daily. My parents lost their oldest child to cancer 7 years ago, and their grief is still as raw as it was the day that she died- a grief so real that my Father did little to battle his own cancer before he died last month, simply because he missed his little girl so much that he would literally die a painful death so that he could see her again. I am sure that you have witnessed how the loss of a parent effects and completely changes their family forever. In regard to a spouse dying on the inside upon suffering the loss of children and partner I am sad to report that I have seen this occur three times, and three times too many, right in front of my eyes when I was the dreaded police officer at the door at 3AM. You can bet that the emotional effect that these notification had on me, even as a disjointed outsider, are still with me now, and that I will do what I can to relieve some other person from this damage.

I said in my first post here that my response wasn't a lecture, just some of my sadly informed thoughts. I would not delete what I said nor would I edit a single word of it.

Peacefully and gentlemanly yours, as ever,

Eamon

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
18406ej said:
Troutmasta,

You know that I am never argumentative so don't take this post as such:

Sorry you thought it was over the top, but I stand by my thoughts with all sincerity. There are many more jetty-based tragedies than there are of other land-based angling locations if you adjust the jetty to land-based ratio accordingly. Even you give an opinion that the South Jetty "is much safer" than the other option, such cautions not typically mentioned when discussing the merits of say, surf fishing. While it is, surprisingly enough, legal to be on a jetty in Oregon, there is obviously sufficient concern for the Corps of Engineers to conspicuously post the jetties with large warning signs. The Coast Guard goes so far as to use their boat-mounted PA systems to warn any person seen upon a jetty when a patrol passes by.

FishNinja didn't mention how old his teenager is, and FishNinja is probably one of the most protective parents society could ask for. Still, there will be many others reading this thread that might be considering taking their child out onto a jetty, oblivious to the danger of such an undertaking. Hopefully my post here will give some parents pause to reconsider.

In regard to the mention of death and its effects of others, I hope that these open and honest descriptions will be a of strong influence to those less-informed readers mentioned above. God forbid anyone lose a child, but this tragedy occurs daily. My parents lost their oldest child to cancer 7 years ago, and their grief is still as raw as it was the day that she died- a grief so real that my Father did little to battle his own cancer before he died last month, simply because he missed his little girl so much that he would literally die a painful death so that he could see her again. I am sure that you have witnessed how the loss of a parent effects and completely changes their family forever. In regard to a spouse dying on the inside upon suffering the loss of children and partner I am sad to report that I have seen this occur three times, and three times too many, right in front of my eyes when I was the dreaded police officer at the door at 3AM. You can bet that the emotional effect that these notification had on me, even as a disjointed outsider, are still with me now, and that I will do what I can to relieve some other person from this damage.

I said in my first post here that my response wasn't a lecture, just some of my sadly informed thoughts. I would not delete what I said nor would I edit a single word of it.

Peacefully and gentlemanly yours, as ever,

Eamon
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

T
troutmasta
Thank you Eamon.
I think most people can imagine if not relate to how detremential the untimely and tragic death can be of a loved one(s), I certainly can.
I love your posts and get great humor from most of them.
For me personally it was a little to dark thats all.
We all take risks everyday from trans fat, to freeways and every time I jetty fish I read the warning signs like I imagine most adults would.
Again I truly appreciate what you offer the forum, It just hit me wrong.

Thank you for the response.
Jeff

18406ej
18406ej
Jeff,

You sound apologetic, which you most certainly need not be, this being OFF, our proudly democratic, open-minded and certainly understanding Forum. I understand and completely agree with your thoughts on choices that we adults face every day.

I apologize for causing you upset, something I only try to cause for certain unnamed Super Moderators Barb, Chuck and GZ. Oops.

Your pal,

Eamon

L
Lingasaurus
Pm sent.

T
troutmasta
18406ej said:
Jeff,

You sound apologetic, which you most certainly need not be, this being OFF, our proudly democratic, open-minded and certainly understanding Forum. I understand and completely agree with your thoughts on choices that we adults face every day.

I apologize for causing you upset, something I only try to cause for certain unnamed Super Moderators Barb, Chuck and GZ. Oops.

Your pal,

Eamon

Word. Thanks Again E.

Now if you please... Make a long ranting highly metaphoric post like the ones I love and I expect from you ;)

I need a good laugh.

I love the forum. Thanks A!