Ivory salmon

jamisonace
jamisonace
Found this on the menu at dinner tonight in Bend. Keep in mind, I'm often referred to as a food snob so take it for what it's worth.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping. Pink is much better in my opinion. I'd like to try it baked or grilled though. It just didn't have any flavor. It seemed fatty but then again they probably just filleted a spawned out sorehead and served it up as Ivory. JK but the lack of flavor kinda makes me wonder. Definitely not what I was hoping for. Especially considering its the most I've ever paid for nigiri.

20160413_184245_resized.jpg

E
eugene1
Looks good, I'd give it a shot anyway.

What species of salmon was it represented as?

jamisonace
jamisonace
It only said Ivory.

eugene1 said:
Looks good, I'd give it a shot anyway.

What species of salmon was it represented as?

E
eugene1
Next time take a little snip and send it to me for testing if ya want.

The following is a joke [emoji1360]:
Looks like the meat could have come from the fish in this recent post..

de966311ef5a7890979af206ce4c4c72.jpg

plumbertom
plumbertom
"About one king in 20 has white meat, and many prefer the flavor of the "ivory" kings."
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=244

E
eat, sleep, fish
It would be really interesting to know if it was farm raised or wild. Just about all salmon served in sushi restaurants is farm raised. It's quite possible that someone figured out that Ivory Kings fetch a premium and didn't add the dye to the food so they could sell "Ivory Salmon".

D
DrTheopolis
What ^^^^ he said. All farm raised salmon is white meat. Like our trout hatcheries, they put dye in the food to make it pink (I recently saw a color chart, like a paint sample fandeck, for what color farmers want their salmon to be).

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks for making me feel worse about overpaying for flavorless fish. You better get me a limit of springers when I'm down!

I'm going to ask them where they source it next time I'm there.

eat said:
It would be really interesting to know if it was farm raised or wild. Just about all salmon served in sushi restaurants is farm raised. It's quite possible that someone figured out that Ivory Kings fetch a premium and didn't add the dye to the food so they could sell "Ivory Salmon".

jamisonace
jamisonace
Post a link. I'd like to see that.

DrTheopolis said:
What ^^^^ he said. All farm raised salmon is white meat. Like our trout hatcheries, they put dye in the food to make it pink (I recently saw a color chart, like a paint sample fandeck, for what color farmers want their salmon to be).

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:

this gives a good explanation of Astaxanthin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astaxanthin

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm back at the restaurant and they say BC wild. Not sure I believe them.

eat said: