It’s time to get serious

Grant22
Grant22
So I’ve been toying the idea of getting a boat for fishing and waterfowl hunting purposes for the past year or so but haven’t really gotten to serious about it until recently. I’ve been saving and am about at the point where it’s time to really start figuring out what exactly I’m looking for and what I am going to need. I will mostly be using it for waterfowl hunting during the fall and fishing for salmon and smallmouth during the spring and summer. I will likely be using it extensively on the Big C and the Willamette as well as the Bays. I don’t want something super big but I also don’t want to be getting beat up out there so I was thinking maybe something in the 16-18’ range and not a flat bottom. I also like the more open layout like a sled has. Then there’s the motor question; Jet vs Prop, HP, hours, etc. I guess my main question is what people with more experience than me would recommend or not recommend from your years on the water?

Chromatose
Chromatose
Your asking the age old question. I want my boat to do everything. Skinny water, big water? Seems to me after reading your post that your leaning towards a bigger water platform. Why not go with a 18` outboard with a offshore bracket for the big water and a Kayak for the skinny water? I have been fortunate to be able to own both a small 14` tin boat and a 19` boat. Winner Winner chicken dinner for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishrover
Casting Call
Casting Call
I had the same problem years ago. After owning a few boats the best combo, I came up with was a 16ft Baja Bay Runner. See U-tube of the same. GL Tony

Reactions: Chromatose
Irishrover
Irishrover
At one time I had a 16' Clackacraft drift boat and a 24' Offshore Duckworth. Both were great boats for their designed purpose. It did drive me a bit crazy using one boat or the other and know the other was just sitting at home. When I finally stopped ocean fishing, I sold them both and went with a 18' Alumaweld Stryker and an 8' Bucks Bag pontoon boat. Now I can put the Bucks Bag in the Alumaweld and take them both along.

That 16' Baja Runner seems like great option!

Reactions: Chromatose