Its not hard not far to reach. Rockaway.

F
FishNewbForLife
Hello, this is my first post. first thing, thanks a lot for all the advice i have come across here. i have been hovering for a while reading posts and learning. i have often thought about asking you all a question only to find my answer in a post by someone else. what a great site. ANYWAY.
me and the lady live in pdx but head to the coast a lot. we always stay in Rockaway. i have fished lake lytle right there a few times, thats great. but i'm really thinking about surf fishing for the first time. i have been reading a lot about it and hope this isn't a silly question.
This is where i"m at. I LOVE FISHING. i dont really care about catching fish that much. for me, its about standing there loving where im at. i have spent the whole winter banking for steelhead without bagging one and dont think there is anything better i could have been doing with my rainy, cold, windy, long, empty handed days. BUT the chance that i MIGHT catch a fish kept me out there.
everything i read about surf fishing involves rocks, jetties or some kind of structure. are those features absolutely conducive to catching surf fish? If i cast out into the surf nowhere near rocks or a structure is it a total "waste of time"? i'd be happy to stand there all day plunking and love it but it might be kinda nice to catch a fish too ;) is it going to be a lot more rewarding if i just walk down the beach a mile or so to twin rocks? or could i just as well bag a few perch a few yards from my hotel?
again thanks for everything ive learned here.

Last edited:
G
GTappan
First of all welcome. I have never caught surf Perch but I think they are on open beaches. Go scout the beach on lowtide, look for troughs or standing water that is uncovered, mark it with a gps if you have one, or use landmarks. Put your bait in those holes when the tides coming back in..
Good luch and have fun..
Gregory

S
SeanC
I'm not a surf fisherman. But there are nice surf perch to catch. I takes my girls to the old girabaldi coast gaurd pier to crab, and we do well. But we also put two rods in the water there, and while we don't catch much fish we have caught a really nice surf perch and a trophy starry flounder. The fishing off the jetties is good because there are a lot of bass, lingcod and rockfish which like structure. If you could cast out far enough I would bet you could get into surf perch, and maybe flounder or even halibut. I'm still learning the coast here, but I used to fish the coast in california, and I could catch the flounder and halibut off the beaches as they typically like the sandy areas. Hopefully someone more familiar with the oregon coast will have a more difinitive answer for you. But I would give it a try if you have a surf rod. Good luck to you.

F
FishNewbForLife
thanks guys!

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
Better late than never I hope. Like you I too will be heading to Rockaway later this month and of all the fishiing forum sites I visited the only mention I got was for Beverly Beach right close to Rockaway Beach. No real details given but seems Red Tailed Surfperch are the predominant species there. I then went to Google for Rockaway map and got a satellite image for the beach and see there is what appears to be a small creek that empties into old blue there with nice short wave action real close to it that usually indicates a faster dropping shoreline and should be good. I will post results first week of September when I return home . Good fishing to you all !

Dave

*********** turns out Beverly Beach is near Lincoln City .... Tried it on way back flom Florence on the incoming tide . 3 hrs. fishing and no luck ************

Last edited: