Is there a fall nook/coho run N. Santiam?

S
Steeliekiller
I know the north has a good run throughout the summer but am not sure about the fall. Regardless I'm still going to be fishing it for those damn steelies. Happy lip rippin.

S
Steeliekiller
Thanks that's some good info and will post if anything gets caught. Good rivers better fishing

C_Run
C_Run
eugene1 said:
I saw on another forum that there is a small wild fall run in the mainstem Willy and some tribs. The fish are the result of prior ODFW stocking.
You can see the numbers of fish crossing the falls here: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/fish_counts/willamette/2012/2012_monthly_sheet.pdf

I wonder where they are spawning???

Best,

There has been a little run on Rickreal Creek and also the Luckiamute River has been getting a very small number from what I have heard. On Rickreal Creek they have been trapping them and trucking them above the dam for a few years I believe. I don't really know the details but apparently, even the west side tribs get a few.

E
eugene1
C_Run said:
There has been a little run on Rickreal Creek and also the Luckiamute River has been getting a very small number from what I have heard. On Rickreal Creek they have been trapping them and trucking them above the dam for a few years I believe. I don't really know the details but apparently, even the west side tribs get a few.

Very cool info C-run! Are you sure you don't mean coho though? This old study (1998: http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/sal..._analyses/sdo_rcmcrclm_wa/sdo_rcmcrclm_wa.pdf ) says that fall nooks are not there but coho are. Not saying you're wrong, as it is an old study, and I don't know anything about this fall nook run at all. I would like to learn more about where these "non native" wild nooks have found a home though.

Best,

troutdude
troutdude
The N. Santiam is CLOSED to ALL Chinook fishing; until Nov. 1st.

The Mainstem is open all year for Coho.

The N. Santiam is open--up to the Stayton/Scio bridge all year, for Coho.

The N. Santiam is currently closed; will also re-open on Nov. 1, for Coho too (above the Stayton/Scio bridge).

FYI, all of this information is available in the Oregon reg book--or online on ODFW's web site (and the law expects that you know this information, BEFORE you venture out).

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
eugene1 said:
Very cool info C-run! Are you sure you don't mean coho though? This old study (1998: http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/sal..._analyses/sdo_rcmcrclm_wa/sdo_rcmcrclm_wa.pdf ) says that fall nooks are not there but coho are. Not saying you're wrong, as it is an old study, and I don't know anything about this fall nook run at all. I would like to learn more about where these "non native" wild nooks have found a home though.

Best,

I just meant coho. I just remember the local paper talking about the trucking of coho up Rickreal Creek. Then a friend of ours was on the Luckiamute watershed council and was telling us about what species they found in that system. I don't think they ever found Chinook there.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Question, I have driven over this river on I-5 heading south out of Salem, and I have seen a rest stop there. Is the river fishable from that rest stop or do you need to go somewhere else? and is that part of the North or mainstream ?

troutdude
troutdude
Yes OM, that is the mainstem of the Santiam. It should still be fish-able, until we get heavier rains. The mouth is a few miles west; and the N. / S. Forks are a few miles east of that I-5 bridge.

F
fphowell
In 2000, when I lived in Calif. we took a trip to Oregon to see if we wanted to retire there. One of the stops was that rest stop on the Santiam and I saw some boats on the river and started to film them with my camcorder. As I was doing so, one of the boaters noticed me and went to their fish locker and pulled out a Salmon, which might have been around 15 to 20 pounds in weight. Nice!
In 2006 we did retire to Salem.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I love fishing that rest area and have fished it year round in the past. Glad you came to Oregon, fphowell! :hi: