Intro/forgetting anything?

P
PDXRiverGuardian
Been a lurker for a lil bit, just recently separated from Air Force after 6 years and found my new addiction in fly fishing! I have signed up for casting lessons Sunday and Don from rivercity fly shop has been a tremendous help! B4 I venture out on some bigger rivers anything I should know, def a little overwhelmed and don't want to be that guy who spooks another anglers' lunker by doing something dumb haha! Any good book suggestions or common mistakes, also not looking for anyone's secret spots but a good area to begin would be great, I have a 5wt and 8wt rod, love steelheading but never on the fly b4!

cheers and thanks

treven

T
TimberTodd
Welcome to OFF Treven. Don at Rivercity is a good guy and has been a great help to me. I found the best way to become more proficient with casting is to get on the water and go for it. The Wilson has a ton of access so you should easily find some spots to cast and not be worried about other anglers. Take your 5wt and try for some trout and enjoy.

Reactions: JTLunker
J
JTLunker
Canby river is a good spot to have some space, check the regulations as I haven't seen them in a while.
Welcome to the forum.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! You live in an area with tons of available water. If you have any questions, check the archives or ask the folks here. We have some very talented members willing to help any way they can. Again, welcome!

P
PDXRiverGuardian
Thanks everyone for warm welcome! Hope to see you guys on the water. :cool:

L
Leon Fish
Welcome! When I first started fly fishing I was recommended the Curtis Creek Manifesto. Quick and easy read packed with great and simple to understand info.