Ink on the tag for Mrs. rogerdodger...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
well it was rainy this morning and we didn't get out for sunrise fishing but with a high tide about 2pm and 4 herring left from my 6 hours on the kayak yesterday, why not toss the rods in the boat and go see the any salmon want to play...

my wife has not been on the boat for any of our salmon catching this year but she has been on for many skunk days; it got so bad that she had started calling herself "the cooler"...

took care of that today, this one hooked up like a smallish chinook but went into acrobatic mode right by the boat, trying that "spit the hook at you" thing that coho love to do, problem is, it took a herring and had a 4-0 hook buried in the corner of it's mouth..then it made a nice run away from the boat...nice fight and easy netting, taped out as a 30" hen that tipped the scales at 12.5#...well worth putting ink on the tag! cheers, roger

R
RunWithSasquatch
Congrats to the Mrs on a pretty fish.

Fish in the boat is a happy feeling.

T
troutmasta
Gorgeos Coho Mrs Dodger!:thumb:

Scales just fallin OFF!:worthy:

E
eugene1
Nice chromer for the lady! I see your confidence has built to the point where you carry two nets now for the eventual double. Since we can use two rods for salmon down here, I am hoping for a solo double some day, going to be a blast.

Best,

Markk
Markk
Nice!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Excellent fish. Glad to see the Siuslaw is getting a bit of a second wind. The free flowing part of the river was on fire for one day last week.

M
mlw
Nice fish.

P
plumb2fish
Great job getting the Mrs. in on the action.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Way to go, Mrs. Dodger!! :thumb:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Nice chromer for the lady! I see your confidence has built to the point where you carry two nets now for the eventual double. Since we can use two rods for salmon down here, I am hoping for a solo double some day, going to be a blast.

Best,

that has me wondering about a trout or kokanee double in my kayak, me fighting one fish while the other rod is bouncing around in the holder on the other side...a salmon double would be just plain crazy from a kayak.

the smaller rubberized net, with the basket shape, is my kayak net, I can control it with one arm and pull the fish in with the rod in the other...I carry it on the PB specifically to minimize stress on any coho that we might release as follows:

as we all know, a really big jack coho is fun to catch, they taste great and use no tag space- we always always want to keep them (unless everyone on board already has one)...but a coho just over 20" is the worst, uses limited tag space and can weigh in at perhaps 4#, with plenty of coho here to catch well into December in the lakes, we want to release these just over 20" fish early in the runs...

so I cut a 20" piece of swimming pool foam noodle float (water pipe insulation works also, I carry a 20" piece of that on my kayak), and with the basket net, we can basically contain any fish in that 'about 20" size' in the water, then hold that piece of foam down, even drop it in the water since it floats, and if it is obvious that the fish is just longer than 20", release it without any additional stress and get back to fishing.

I think it is worth the effort- we really value that our coho runs are strong enough to allow harvest but still need to make the most of our precious tag space for these 2W fish...cheers, roger

M
mikeredding
Great job getting her on a fish. You guys have been killing them this year.

E
eugene1
That's what I figured it was for. Good idea,

rogerdodger said:
I carry it on the PB specifically to minimize stress on any coho that we might release as follows

J
JeannaJigs
Awesome job putting the Mrs. on a ho!

I
Igor
rogerdodger said:
well it was rainy this morning and we didn't get out for sunrise fishing but with a high tide about 2pm and 4 herring left from my 6 hours on the kayak yesterday, why not toss the rods in the boat and go see the any salmon want to play...

my wife has not been on the boat for any of our salmon catching this year but she has been on for many skunk days; it got so bad that she had started calling herself "the cooler"...

took care of that today, this one hooked up like a smallish chinook but went into acrobatic mode right by the boat, trying that "spit the hook at you" thing that coho love to do, problem is, it took a herring and had a 4-0 hook buried in the corner of it's mouth..then it made a nice run away from the boat...nice fight and easy netting, taped out as a 30" hen that tipped the scales at 12.5#...well worth putting ink on the tag! cheers, roger

Well congrats, that is absolutely the best news I have had all week! Well done you two!!!