I need bigger flies

T
Tinker
So, on a tip from a friend, I went to a new spot on the river on a perfect windless morning. Dew rising on the fields, and mist on the water, with a bit of fog thrown in for atmosphere. Tied on a dry with a dropper nymph and crept along the gravel until I found what looked like trout paradise and made my cast. Wonderful cast; a 40-foot thing of beauty. I was sure I couldn't do it twice, so I just followed it along as it drifted. Pow! Something slammed the nymph and the rod was vibrating and I was thinking of all the glory and praise I'd get for landing a big 'un. Until I landed it. If it was as long as the first knuckle of my pinky finger, I'd be shocked. To call it a minnow would be an insult to guppies everywhere. SMOG, it was the smallest fish I've ever seen on a hook. If it was a fish and not a tadpole - and only if there are frogs in that section of the river (which I doubt). I was going to take a picture, but I don't have a macro setting for the camera. At least there was no one else to be seen for miles... (Can't get the Carriage Return to work this morning, so: new paragraph) And to add to the insult, while I was wondering how to release it - it was legally hooked in the mouth - the thing threw the hook and swam off. Fishing. Bah!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Well, at least you didn't get skunked! :confused:

BTW, what's a "carriage return"? (just posing the inquiry, because I know it'll stump the younger generations). :lol:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Yeah, I would give it up if I were you. :rolleyes: Not worth the time and effort.....;) Who needs to be outdoors with all that scenery, serenity and wildlife anyway? :shy:

C
Combat Chuck
I had to google it :lol:

troutdude said:

BTW, what's a "carriage return"? (just posing the inquiry, because I know it'll stump the younger generations). :lol:

T
Tinker
troutdude said:

When you are typing, and press the [Enter] key, your typing advances a line... Oh! I get it, now. On typewriters, what holds the paper in place is called a "paper carriage". On most typewriters, you had a lever attached to the carriage to move it to a new line at the left margin of the paper - a carriage return. With the IBM Selectronics, it was done with a key, much like the [Enter] key - the [Return] key - since the selectronics moved the type head (a ball) instead of a paper carriage. Most word processing machines that followed the IBM did the same since they, too, did not have a moveable paper carriage...

Even on these infernal computator contraptions, when you're using word processing software, pressing the [Enter] key is still called a "carriage return" -and there are still programming codes for the carriage return...

Wow! Doesn't that remind me that I'm really as old as I've become..?