I get slapped by a carp!

I
igquick
I'm sure a lot of you haven't seen this video yet, and I'm sure you'd all love to see me get slapped by a carp; which is exactly what happens in this video below:

I've been practicing my crappy fly casting skills, trying to get ready to hopefully hook on some carp. By the way the fly rod that was bought for me had a lefty fly reel, but I installed the reel for a righty; if that makes any sense. So the line is naturally closer to the rod as it comes out of the reel, so I don't know how bad that's going to be for me but I'm feeling really comfortable.Anyways, while I was practicing, I managed to hook into lots of bluegill. At least I think that's what these are because I've never seen that yellow tale before on a bluegill:

These are the best pictures I've ever taken of a fish I caught by the way. Something about the fly, the pattern of the fish, and the contrast of the rock. I had a blast catching these fish with a fly rod, and I can't imagine what it's going to be like hooking into a carp hopefully.

On another trip I went the other day, I walked around more than usual around Kelley Point Park because I was looking for the big ones. Once again, I managed to hook into those 1 lbers, and I caught five of them. So at that note, I'm not going to come back til Summer since the big ones seem to be spawning?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Boom! Goes the dynamite. Or in this case the carp.

Cool blog, keep it up! Ill throw up a link on mine for you tomorrow. About to hit they hey right now.

Tight lines!

I
igquick
Cool thanks! Im a noob at this blog stuff but Im slowly figuring it out. I want to put yours, georges, and carponthefly on mine somehow...

C
cdumitru78
You should still get some of the big ones man, they still should bite right now. I am going to be there tomorrow in the afternoon, I will let you know how it goes. I plan to look for them a little bit, see what I find, but corn should be doing good now.

I
igquick
My assumption is the big ones are spawning because they are jumping every 5 minutes but I HOPE you prove me wrong with your corn theory because i was using white bread like always at kelley point.

The thing is i dont like fishing for over an hour with no fish, my patience is horrible; so i just left.

I was sitting next to the water about to fall asleep on my chair, until a huge carp jumped right in front of my face; about 2 or 3 feet in front of me...

Good luck tomorrow and let me know how it goes!

C
cdumitru78
Man U were right! I fished from 4 to 7, weather was perfect, no excuse. I caught 2 fish, about 1 to 2 pounds each, both on white bread. Not even ONE nibble on corn, sad but true. I saw tons of fish jumping and turning, so they r probably spawning. Might be slow there for the next few weeks, time to check some of the old spots on sauvie's island. Let me know if u need any good spots for the island, I got a few good ones that tend to do good for me using corn and bread.

I
igquick
Damn, i was really rooting for you to prove me wrong because i wouldnt mind going back there with a couple cans of corn...

Ive only been to sauvies once with mike pierce and didn't catch a thing, but 60 percent of fishing is location, and i bet your fishing spot is great for angling ...sauvies is too far for me man, but i wish!

C
cdumitru78
I think it will pick up there once they are done spawning, they will be quite hungry! With the weather warming up though, it will most likely be best early in the AM or later during the day. Worth checking every other week or so. Even catching those small 1 pounders is fun, but you get spoiled there when you get into much bigger ones. I dont think there is much pressure on the fish from people fishing for them, there seem to be tons of them and most of us release them (relatively) unharmed. Those fish are so damn tough too, unless of course Mike puts an arrow through their skull...

You are right about Sauvie's being all about location, I try to check out new spots there all the time, but I always end up going back to my old spots and catch them there all the time. If you ever want to know those spots let me know, not hard to find. Good luck!

I
igquick
Cool thanks i appreciate it.

I usually see the people at kelley point keep anything they catch lol...the russian people next to me were catching the small whitefish i think?

You should post some pics and stories in here man! Be careful giving away spots though

C
cdumitru78
You are right about that, Kelley Point tends to be like that - full of guys that literally keep anything that comes out of there. I toss them back, sometimes people there look funny at you when you release fish. I rarely bump into anyone on Sauvie's you get those holes to yourself most times, that makes it nicer and more relaxing. I think there are so many damn places on that island, u can catch carp all over the place there.

Here is a pic of my buddy catching one @ KP, I think you recognize the place
IMG_1103.jpg

Here is one I caught on the island, no idea how big it was, but thats a salmon rod, felt like a big fish...
IMG_0823.jpg

C
cdumitru78
Here is one more from the same spot, is this a mirror?IMG_0825.jpg

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah that is a mirror! nice one!

I
igquick
Unbelievable fish man!...the scales represent its rarity here in oregon

I have yet to catch one, unlike everybody on this carp forum...

C
cdumitru78
I can show u where I got it man, good old sauvie's. it was weird, I did not like my cast, I was basically lifting my rod and as I was doing that it started tugging. Didn't feel any different until I landed it.

I
igquick
Nice, it didn't run or anything?

C
cdumitru78
Not any different than any other carp, they all bite hard around sauvie's I think they tend to get hungry around there. I might give bread a shot there too, never tried.