I can't believe ODFW wont use this!!

mrjpardee
mrjpardee
There is a private hatchery with perfect water that has perfect ph and perfect temp (59 degrees)straight from the ground. Giving odfw an open invitation to help and they refuse.... it's just incredible.....

I mean, checkout this facility highlighted in this video:

and tell me it wouldn't be a perfect resource to use!

Just blows my mind!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Hatcheries are a scapegoat for the terrible job ODFW has done managing fish. The article above is a hit piece that makes a lot of accusations but doesn't actually show how they reached their conclusions that hatcheries hurt wild fish.

Reactions: cchinook and Davpot
305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
I think we are over looking the impact of climate change and ocean conditions. Think about how much warmer the ocean and rivers are running. If there were no hatchery program there would be no more fish. If you think there are any Native fish at this point you are fooling yourself. Hatchery by no means should be the permanent goal, but we are reliant on them at this point to even have fish in the systems.

Reactions: Bo Peep and Diehard
Diehard
Diehard
Hatche
rogerdodger said:
I suspect they aren't interested because Oregon doesn't have a shortage of hatchery fish.

And also, hatchery fish are not the solution to salmon/steelhead issues...

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/08/05/columbia-river-salmon-habitat-spending-study/#:~:text=Decades of data show that,are contributing to their decline.
Those studys are biased towards hatcherys and people believe most of what they read as fact hatcherys are good they prop up the wild runs want more fish put more fish in the river this failing attack on hatcherys is not working we need funding to support feeding these hatchery fish so we can put more in the river food is one of the reasons odfw limits the amount of hatchery fish it produces

Last edited:
Bo Peep
Bo Peep
There is always going to be a native vs hatchery fish argument from here on out. I truly believe there is not a lot of what you would call pure natives left. I have personally caught native ocean Chinook salmon that had chips in their heads and had to have the nose cut off. I believe there needs to be more and better hatchery programs just to add fish to the system so we can have more opportunities to catch and fish for them. I for one hate the select Coho season you release and harm so many so-called native Coho it is frustrating to find clipped fish. If we can only have hatchery select seasons there needs to be more hatchery fish put into the system. Take the Umpqua for example you can only keep hatchery Spring Chinook in the river if you have payed attention to that fishery, Hatchery Spring Chinook are very hard to come by.

Top Bottom