How to prevent snagging a fish by accident

K
kenjimua
Soo how so i prevent snagging a fish by accident when using a sspinner?:sad::sad: Is it because my spinner is 2 big?? (Size 5 blue fox)

And how often does this occurs when you guys are using a spinner?

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
Don't fish the tailouts.

And a 5 might be appropriate on the Columbia right now, probably not anywhere else. That's a high-water lure.

R
rippin fish lips
kenjimua said:
Soo how so i prevent snagging a fish by accident when using a sspinner?:sad::sad: Is it because my spinner is 2 big?? (Size 5 blue fox)

And how often does this occurs when you guys are using a spinner?

Switch to size 3's and 4's. What kind of fish did you happen to foul hook on accident? Sucker? Pike minnow?? When swinging a spinner really deep and slow, rolling one over the rocks will put you right in the zone for salmon/steelhead... Sometimes on the end of the swing or if your letting it back troll, it will just happen to get under the fishes zone and it just happens to get em in the belly. Most of all, unless your intentionally trying to snag fish with a spinner, most of your fish should be in the mouth. (every once in a while you will get that one strike that feels good and hes hooked in the cheek. That would be caused from the fish missing the lure on the strike, or hitting the lure then turning away while letting go.

If your fishing the Clack... or any river that has super gin clear water with hardly no green at all in it, you need to be fishing Smaller from 1's to 4's...

R
rippin fish lips
DrTheopolis said:
Don't fish the tailouts.

And a 5 might be appropriate on the Columbia right now, probably not anywhere else. That's a high-water lure.

I have to disagree on this. keep fishing the Tail outs. But only do it super early in the morning and late at night when the fish tend to hold in them better. Just Down size your hardware and hook size ;) Also make sure your fishing right above where the fish hold. You dont want your spinner to be swinging on top of around em... It needs to be in front of em.

K
kenjimua
Foul hook a chinook :( .....mabey i just need to downsize my spinner and no i dont try to or want to snag a fish i go by the rules..new to salmon/steelhead foshing soooo still figuring them out

Last edited:
B
Big3d
Since you're still dialing in, it's probably mostly about where the spinner is in the water column. Depending on belly or back hook you could be too high, I don't know if too low is a real thing yet or not but also possible.

K
kenjimua
Well every time i go fast enough just to make the blade spin it hooks them in the back ._. .....if i reel in too fast it just goes higher and flies right over them....

R
rippin fish lips
kenjimua said:
Well every time i go fast enough just to make the blade spin it hooks them in the back ._. .....if i reel in too fast it just goes higher and flies right over them....

Sounds like your fishing over a pile of NON-BITERS. Time to move down a little.