How many rods do you bring with you to the river?

K
killigan
During winter Steelhead season I bring three rods with me, a float rod, a drift rod, and a spoon rod. I've been thinking about bringing a fourth, to use as a second float rod. I use jigs, beads, yarnies, pink worms, and bait under a float, so I feel I will save time from having to tie up different applications. Downside is that I bank fish and have to carry a bit more to the river.

Reactions: Admin
B
Berg03
I use your same 3 but i add a bobber doggin rod. I also bank fish, if you can carry 3 you can carry 4...

C_Run
C_Run
Two, one hardware and one float. That's hard enough crawling through the salmonberry.

Reactions: pinstriper
P
pinstriper
Depending on how sure I am of where I'll be fishing and what I'm fishing for, as a banky I may have separate rods for bobber fishing, plunking, and drifting/hardware. From the kayak I'll have hardware, trolling, jigging, and bottom fishing (something carolina rigged). If I'm going something very specific like surf perch, I'll have just the one, with a spare in the truck in case of equipment failure.

Probably the biggest thing I've learned around this is to not bring a full tackle box. I bring enough to re-rig everything I've brought 3 times and that's it. If I lose my rig twice quickly, I'm doing the wrong thing in the wrong area, so I'm shifting techniques and/or moving. I only bring what fits in my pockets/vest, or if I know exactly where I'll be, I'll bring a little more, in a small ammo box from Harbor Freight.

I leave extra terminal tackle back at the truck, but still keep the quantity within reason. I picked up one of those new flat ammo boxes from BiMart which fits nicely behind the seat in the truck and is easily packed for the day's trip, whether that be fishing, hunting etc. Very easy to pack in advance and just grab it and go.

Edit: I misinterpreted the question - to the river, maybe 2 as I already know where I am and what approach I'm taking. The others stay in the truck. Also I answered this as generic, not steelhead specific.

C
ChezJfrey
I really love the very few days I walk around with just one; seems like such a treat to carry on unhindered and unencumbered. But, that hardly ever happens because I don't get into enough fish for just one rig...I need at least 2. Then, when I'm feeling the mojo with a fly, I then need to carry 3, which is a real pain, but so worth it when I finally hook one on the fly rod :)

B
Berg03
You could always have the rods you need per spot. I know for instance the Wilson river... its a lot driving to each spot. And on each spot I know the water well enough I know which rods that I will use for that spot. If its a far walk I can see the concern.

Reactions: pinstriper
hobster
hobster
I usually use the same 3 as you, depending on the water i'm fishing. Sometimes i'll go recon and hike a lot and only bring 2, bobber rods are long and cumbersome and a pain to hike with in the brush. Also, I have all my beads, yarnies and worms pre tied, so no need for a second float rod. It's easy enough to cut the line at the inline weight and tie up real quick. I still love the drift fishing bite the best, so I prefer that method to al others.

hobster
hobster
jigs.png

Here is only part of it, but when that river drops.....................I am ready!!

C_Run
C_Run
I did the same. Been sick and watching river levels daily. Got 28 jigs and probably 50 spoons and spinners ready to go.

J
JonT
Just one.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
It depends on whether I am bank fishing or if I am in the drift boat. If I am bank fishing then I typically take only 1 with me. If I am in the boat then I take 3. 1 for side drifting, 1 for casting hardware, and my fly rod...still trying to hook one on that.

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
I bring 2, one to break and the other to throw in the water when I get pi...d OFF when I can't catch any!! ?

Reactions: Troutski, Admin and killigan
K
killigan
GoBlueFan;n600473 said:
I bring 2, one to break and the other to throw in the water when I get pi...d OFF when I can't catch any!! ?

:lol:

C
ChezJfrey
GoBlueFan;n600473 said:

Interesting...I've seen golfers use similar tactics with their clubs ;)

H
Hookset
I usually only bring the same 3 as you. I also pre tie all of my leaders for the day or more.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
When banking it I'll take 2-3 depending on what kind of water. In the DB 4 rods.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I bring one but it's a big one a 13'6 spey rod. A lot of fun to cast, but I'm thing about bring another rods to cast spoon so I may actually hook a fish!

N
Native Fisher
I will bring two rods with me, but generally only take 1 rod out at a time. I often cover a few miles of steep, brushy terrain and two rods not only slows me down, but quite often ends up in snapping a tip snagged line in the brush or some other stupid thing to piss me off.

S
Steel head stalker
Two one for float fishing and one for drift or spinners.

Artwo
Artwo
Bank fishing I bring 3.......

One for bobber/jig or bait......
One for bobber dogging yarnies/beads.......
One for drift fishing.......