How low is Hills Creek right now?

PK Yi
PK Yi
I wish the google map would be a live photo, or even just days old. but I can't tell the water level. anyone live in oakridge know how low the water level is at hills creek? :worthy:

PK Yi
PK Yi
thank you... so the elevation is in feet. what does the # for "out" & "in" mean?

T
Throbbit _Shane
sammy said:
thank you... so the elevation is in feet. what does the # for "out" & "in" mean?

It's probably the amount of water coming in and coming out of the lake.

Troutski
Troutski
Open all year...

Open all year...

The Packard Creek Campground ramp is open 12 months, this being said; the lower it gets the muddier it becomes... not that you can't launch a boat but bring some hip waders...
Here is another site to try, most of the time it will mean nothing until you have landmarks at certain levels and inflows/outflows.
http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/teacup/willamette/

Chuck

Last edited:
J
Jimbow
Thanks for the weblink Chuck. I did make it up to the Packard Creek ramp, but found that the asphalt ramp is currently out of the water. There was one truck stuck in the mud next to the ramp and another parked in the middle of the ramp with a fire going and 6 guys fishing there. I didn't ask them to move because my boat & trailer is too heavy for a launch and recovery on a dirt/mud ramp.
They appeared to be catching trout with bait on the bottom. They said the bite went away for awhile as two otters swam by. There was a bald eagle perched in a tree across on the far side. Flat water, nice day. Wish I could have launched.
The chart shows that the ramp is usable down to 1441 ft and the water was supposedly about 8-10 ft higher than that but it really wasn't usable and there were no boats on the lake anywhere.
We ran on up to Crescent and had a couple hours trolling for mack but all we ended up with was a cheeseburger at the lodge. Still a fun trip with my dtr and son-in-law.
The graphs on that download show that historically they start filling the lake in mid Feb so we'll make another run at it then.

T
TTFishon
We launched my buddies boat there yesterday with no problems. Had the whole lake to ourselves. We both caught bows and baby nooks nothing too big though. Still a lot better than sitting at home.

Troutski
Troutski
Deep trolling near the dam...

Deep trolling near the dam...

TTFishon said:
We launched my buddies boat there yesterday with no problems. Had the whole lake to ourselves. We both caught bows and baby nooks nothing too big though. Still a lot better than sitting at home.

The next time you get up there, try trolling near the dam.. Deep (just above the thermocline) fast between 2.5 and 4 mph. Throw in some S curves and throttle up and then down once in a while. The larger Chinooks love to hit fast moving baits and then they head straight down. I use very light tackle and when one of the 20 inchers hit it.. the game is on....
If you are interested in more details shoot me a pm...

Chuck