How is the fishing at North Santiam Park?

H
HRxPaperStacks
I'm looking at places close to Salem to fish and about a half hour away and it appears to be on the N. Santiam right after the Little North Fork Forks off. Does anyone have any reports of how fishable that area is from the shore?

C_Run
C_Run
There is one really nice hole by the campground and also some fishable water by the boat launch. This time of year the fish would likely be wild winter steelhead, few and far between, and not legal to retain. Check out all the parks up there and also by the bridges. You will find plenty of places to fish.

H
HRxPaperStacks
Thank you for your response! That's what I was hoping for. The ODFW regs show that it's open for Chinook and Coho; are those not there right now?

troutdude
troutdude
Sorry for the double post. My computer, is giving me fits!

MOD's, feel free to delete this one.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Just like CRun mentioned; it's late for fall/winter fish. Plus, Springers won't begin arriving until next month. Then, summers start showing up in May. It is only currently open now for fin-clipped Nooks and Steel; and for Ho's. So, there's not a lot to fish for, at the moment.

However, if you're into catch n' release--right now is the tail-end of the peak, of the Wild Winter Steelhead run. Also as previously mentioned--If a fish isn't fin-clipped; then they have to be safely released. No retention of wild steel, is allowed.

S
Steeliekiller
I grew up fishing the N santiam. Great for native c&r I've pulled some trophy steel from that system my biggest easily being 16# measuring 36" with a set of shoulders. Lots of good water from mehema up to the base of big cliff. The tail water at the below the mill city bridge an great water right above the falls. If you travle up river even further more great water. As said above great c&r with little pressure. Good luck.