Helpful rule change being considered by ODFW

bass
bass
The ODFW is set to consider the following rule change:

Re-define artificial lure to include soft molded plastic and rubber worms, eggs and similar bait imitations.

This would be great for bass fishing the upper Tualatin River (and probably other locations as well). I sure hope they approve that change!

Here is the link to the ODFW page with the all proposed 2013 rule changes:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2012/August/083112.asp

troutdude
troutdude
Hmm. I've understood the reg's on a trout stream--when they state "no artificial lures"--to INCLUDE all molded plastic, rubber, and other imitation baits. Which, to me, means that you are NOT allowed to use any such lures.

So, what about the current reg will change? (If, that is, I'm reading/interpreting the reg's correctly).

T
the_intimidator03
Erm troutdude.. I dont recall ever seeing a no artificial lure waters before. I have however seen No bait zones, which I do believe is what you meant. Current regulations define "Bait" as "Any item used to attract fish which is not an artificial fly or a lure. Molded soft plastic or rubber imitation worms, eggs, or other imitation baits are considered bait. Scent is not considered bait.

That being said with the current regs you couldnt use soft plastics to target bass in those waterbodies with restrictions regardless if there are trout present.

Btw hows it up north troutdude?

bass
bass
troutdude said:
Hmm. I've understood the reg's on a trout stream--when they state "no artificial lures"--to INCLUDE all molded plastic, rubber, and other imitation baits. Which, to me, means that you are NOT allowed to use any such lures.

So, what about the current reg will change? (If, that is, I'm reading/interpreting the reg's correctly).

Presently in artificials only (no bait) waters you can't use plastic worms, etc. The rule change would allow the use of plastic worms etc in artificials only (no bait) waters.

troutdude
troutdude
the_intimidator03 said:
Erm troutdude.. I dont recall ever seeing a no artificial lure waters before. I have however seen No bait zones, which I do believe is what you meant. Current regulations define "Bait" as "Any item used to attract fish which is not an artificial fly or a lure. Molded soft plastic or rubber imitation worms, eggs, or other imitation baits are considered bait. Scent is not considered bait.

That being said with the current regs you couldnt use soft plastics to target bass in those waterbodies with restrictions regardless if there are trout present.

Btw hows it up north troutdude?

Fine n' dandy, thank you.

And you are right; you said precisely what I stumbled to spit out. Thanks for clarifying. :)

troutdude
troutdude
bass said:
Presently in artificials only (no bait) waters you can't use plastic worms, etc. The rule change would allow the use of plastic worms etc in artificials only (no bait) waters.

Okay. Thanks. Now I see how this would be a plus, for all of us! COOL!

M
mlw
No, its not a plus - the reason to ban bait also applies to soft plastics - higher mortality, much higher, for fish caught and released. I am against the rule change, as are most folks concerned with preserving and enhancing our native fish populations.