Heading to Hagg!

D
deadnbrkn84
So the short story is I've been fishing ever since I was old enough to walk and it was always my favorite thing to do. I was that kid bringing a travel rod to elementary school in a backpack and hopping our school fence to go fish in the creek behind the school at lunch time. Anyways, I moved to Oregon in Sept. of 2006 from California and ironically I've only been fishing twice since I've been here (Salmon fishing on the Clackamas, and actually caught a few!). Fast forward, I really want to get back into it as I miss it a lot. I went down to CA to pick up my 12' Valco boat and got all the Registration and licensing taken care of. It's got a 15hp Evinrude on it and a Minn Kota trolling motor. I figure it's a perfect little boat to do some lake fishing around here. I recently dug through my stuff only to find that things have gone missing (go figure) so I went down to Fisherman's and picked up some of the essentials including a new rod and reel. I'm gonna head out to Hagg on Sunday as it's pretty close and I figure it would be a good re-starting point for me. Now that you all have a little background here's my questions:

1. Growing up I've ONLY used 4lb test for trout. It's just how I was raised. The guy at fisherman's was pretty opposed to this saying to go at least 6lb. Does anyone have any input here?

2. Is there anything I should know about Hagg or anything that I must bring besides the obvious?

3. I was going to try a little bass fishing while I was there too. Is it legal to use two rods at the same time? I.e. have one casted in bait fishing while using the other to cast for bass?

Thanks so much for all your help. I appreciate the input!

C
chrisohm
Use the line you feel comfortable with. I prefer 4lb or less for trout. If i know there is a heavy population of steelhead or large trout then I might go 6lb. No steelhead in Hagg so don't worry about it. Hagg will have a heavy load of recreational boaters. Check the regs on using 2 rods and make sure you have a 2 rod validation before doing so. The water temp should be up so go deeper to find the trout and the bass should be spread out. Look for grassy areas, cover or submerged structure for some good bass fun. Also, bass do not always hold in these spots so if you have a depth/fish finder then make some good use of it and have fun. Come back and post some pics so we can live in your glory!!

T
TimberTodd
Hagg also has a use fee of $6 for a vehicle with boat. The sun this weekend will bring out the pleasure boaters so I would hit the water early. Good luck on Sunday.

W
wozniasm
TimberTodd said:
Hagg also has a use fee of $6 for a vehicle with boat. The sun this weekend will bring out the pleasure boaters so I would hit the water early. Good luck on Sunday.

definitely!

D
deadnbrkn84
Well we didn't end up getting out there until much later then I would have liked but still got to fish until about 2pm. Didn't have a whole lot of luck. I caught a pretty good size crappie and a few real small small mouth bass. The lady caught a 11-12" rainbow and some of the real small smallmouth's as well. The trout definitely are in deeper water not mainly around the 25-30' mark. It was a good day all in all though and nice to get the boat out. I'll be heading back soon

T
TimberTodd
Sounds like a good day. Glad you found some fish.

D
deadnbrkn84
TimberTodd said:
Sounds like a good day. Glad you found some fish.

Gonna head back on Saturday morning to try my luck again. :)

T
TimberTodd
Good luck. Let us know how you did.