Have my own questions..

T
tomriker
i've seen vids of people throwing like a small popper with a fly rod, do you cast them the same way? how heavy of a rod do i need? what's the heaviest weight i can go? i have a 3/16 that i want to use.. is that too heavy? thanks in advance for any info :D

O
OnTheFly
One of these days I'll catch a bass on a fly rod and, I know you fish for them, it is bass that I presume you want to target. Overhead casting on a lake or anyway you can get the fly to the fish works if it's moving water. A 3wt would be a blast but not over a 5wt IMO. Cast the popper out and twitch back like you would do with spinning gear. Fair warning...fly fishing is addicting.

T
tomriker
You should come down and show me how to fly fish for the bass, I have an old flyrod and reel but don't know what I'm doin.. You happen to have an extra cheap setup I could borrow? I we got tired of fly fishin I have all kinds of baitcasting gear you could use. :) I'll provide the Pond and fish :)

V
Van
When i have cast bass poppers, it has been in the same manner as i would a trout fly. As far as how big of a rod, it all depends on the size of the fish you are catching. I would say a 5 or 6wt will be about the right size. Any bigger would be pretty over powered unless you knew you were getting into some really big fish.

T
tomriker
Thanks, I was wondering how to "cast" average topwater fish is 4-5 pounds. I have a 5wt now. But it's in rough shape.. Might have to just give it a try anyways :)

V
veilside180sx
An 8 wt is the appropriate rod more often than not for bass

O
OnTheFly
Tom, That's a great offer and I will take you up on it when I make it down that way. It would give me no better pleasure than to teach you to fly cast.

brandon4455
brandon4455
u use rabbit strip divers,they have more action then a popper and are way lighter..very fun to use too. id use anywhere from a 5 to an 8wt.