Hatchery harvest tag question...

A
Adam83
Are you allowed to use these to catch anywhere you want and as many on the tag per day as you want? Or does the daily limit still apply and the areas where you can take the fish restricted?

Like for instance, if the regulations say you are only allowed to catch 2 a day on a certain river, does the HHT mean that you can catch as many as you want anywhere or how does it work? Like can you still only catch two per day and four in a week or does this nullify that for as many as you have a tag got?

B
Big3d
Only the limits listed may be taken, the hatchery tag just gives you more tags, these tags cannot be used to retain wild fish at all

A
Adam83
Yes, I was referring to the fin-clipped of course.

So, you can still only catch two per day and four in a week, but instead of say 10 fish a season, you can continue fishing for as many weeks as you want, if you have a HHT to take the fish? And the tag allows you to take them on any river, it doesn't just apply to any specific area?

And a question the trout limit. Going over the Oregon regulations, it frequently says "trout" instead of specifying rainbow, cutthroat or brown. So the daily limit of two applies to all of these species and is there a season limit that is different for any species?

B
Big3d
Be very careful of special regs on trout, especially where browns are concerned, but technically yes, it could be any trout, as far as special waters for a hatchery tag, i think it works on any river open to fishing with a hatchery run. Always study regs careful, good luck and hopefully you make good use of that tag!

A
Adam83
The trout go towards the HHT? I thought they were for fin-clipped steelhead and Chinook only?

Is there a webpage the lists the season limits for each species of trout?

D
dtikey
Adam83 said:
The trout go towards the HHT? I thought they were for fin-clipped steelhead and Chinook only?

Is there a webpage the lists the season limits for each species of trout?
The HHT is for steelhead and salmon only to give people more chances to tag hatchery fish. You still have to follow guidelines for the river you are fishing for size and number you can keep. This helps out people who fish where they can harvest native fall and spring Chinook as they can save their main tag for these seasons.

A
Adam83
So for example, if the season limit is 10 from the Nehalem, Tillamook, and Nestucca areas, then the HHT doesn't allow you to go to 20 for that area, it just means that you can fish elsewhere past the overall season limit of 20?

M
Mad dog
Adam83 said:
So for example, if the season limit is 10 from the Nehalem, Tillamook, and Nestucca areas, then the HHT doesn't allow you to go to 20 for that area, it just means that you can fish elsewhere past the overall season limit of 20?

Those particular season limits apply only to wild fall Chinook, you can keep as many hatchery fall Chinook as you have hatchery harvest tags for on any system.

A
Adam83
Oh, ok, that's what was confusing me. So is there a set daily limit for fin-clipped fish caught under the HHT? Or a place that lists the daily/season limits on the specific trout species?

Sorry for so many questions, the Oregon regulations seems lacking specific details on several things.

B
Big3d
Limits vary by waterway, bottom line is the reg book has everything you need, just set pretty awkward. start with zone regulations for the standard regs in your area, then check the specific waterbody for any amendments to the standard zone regs

A
Adam83
See that's what I was trying to find out. I can't find any specific daily or season limits on fin-clipped steelhead and salmon for the areas I plan to fish. In everything I've read, it lists only wild fall Chinook as having specific limits. 2 a day, 4 a week and 10 per season.

Like for instance, it says that the zone daily limit is two trout from the streams per day, does that mean all species of trout (cutthroat, rainbow and brown) and there is no season limit, just two a day and four in possession throughout the season? And that only applies to that specific zone, meaning that you could catch more per day in different zones?

And for salmon and steelhead, it just says two each per day and 20 per year. Does that only mean "wild" steelhead and salmon (both Coho and Chinook), or does that apply to fin-clipped salmon and steelhead as well? If you have a HHT, are you allowed to catch more than two fin-clipped steelhead or salmon per day at any location that doesn't specifically say that you can't in the regulations, or is there somewhere that lists the limits and locations for taking fin-clipped fish under the HHT? And the limits on specific species of trout.

E
eugene1
Adam83 said:
If you have a HHT, are you allowed to catch more than two fin-clipped steelhead or salmon per day

No, you're done for the day if you keep a daily limit.

Best,