Growing pains didn't hurt so bad today!! First nook!!

F
FG_Fishing8
It took all day to get a bite. Watched many people get bites and land em. It was a longer fight than I expected it to be. It may be dark and small but it's my first time landing a Chinook so I'm happy with it. We did release the damn thing. We thought it was about 15 pounds, what do you guys think?
caught on bobber and eggs on the Wilson.

IMG_2200.jpg

M
Modest_Man
Good job. Next time grab around the opercle instead of having your fingers in the gills for fish you're going to release.

E
eugene1
Congrats on your first nook! It doesn't really matter how big it was or how bright it was for the catching anyway. At least you got to feel that tug and you got some confidence that your bait and gear work well.

However, now you are ruined. You should seriously consider quitting your job or school and focus 100% on catching more salmon, J/K...

Anyway, it makes sense to release the buck to go make more as it is a bit colored up for eating. Karma would suggest that you get a good chromer next time out.

Best,

O
OnTheDrop
Ahh. Looks like your at the Blue hole... That spot can be killer. Nice job and take note of what Modest_Man said upon your next released fish.

T
troutmasta
eugene1 said:
Karma would suggest that you get a good chromer next time out.

Listen to Eugene!
Well done, nice job on the release back into the system!:thumb:

F
FG_Fishing8
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Ahh. Looks like your at the Blue hole... That spot can be killer. Nice job and take note of what Modest_Man said upon your next released fish.
The blue hole has been full of them! They were biting today. We only gotta fish it for an hour or so.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, that boy looks 15# easy, good call to release him..

J
joem
id put him about 10 lbs, and ugly dang haha hes nasty looking i didn't think they bit to well when they get that bad but i guess so. the meat might have been good being a buck they dont go bad as fast but i dont know about him. good job on your first

D
DrTheopolis
we knew you'd get on the scoreboard soon, FG.

I'm not convinced that's not a coho, can't tell from the pic, but since it was released, it doesn't matter.

Congrats.

D
DrTheopolis
Also, watch the river level. I'm guessing the nest time it breaks 5.0, there should be fresh fish to be had.

O
OnTheDrop
DrTheopolis said:
we knew you'd get on the scoreboard soon, FG.

I'm not convinced that's not a coho, can't tell from the pic, but since it was released, it doesn't matter.

Congrats.

It's a Male Chinook. They tend to get more black with a little red..

A coho would be looking more like a fire truck & a female would be completely black with some serious white blotches. They can be a little tough to decipher at this point.

B
bran_man
great job on the first! I would guess anywhere from 12- 15 pounds. probably around 15 in its prime but you never now after they're spent like that. people call them boots but I simply call them what they are... "dark stinkys"!!! ha ha. Glad you did the right thing and let that one back in the river it would have been a waste (besides being used as fertilizer) They are great fighting fish still though! congrats!

T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:
It's a Male Chinook.

Copy that-
You can see the spots if you look close-