Great review of Echo rods

S
Spydeyrch
I found a nice review from last year touching the majority of the Echo single handed and double handed (including switch) rods. It was very well done I think. I really enjoyed the read. Now I want to get an Echo 3!

T
TimberTodd
I have a Echo Ion 8wt 10' and 7wt 9' and really like them and they were in my price range.

S
Spydeyrch
I have been looking at getting a higher end single handed 7wt and am debating the Ion or the Echo3. I was looking at some Sage, Orvis, and Scott rods too. I really like them, but for half or a third of those prices, I can get a great Echo rod. Plus I already own two echo rods and love them. ;)

I figured that the link would help others choose a great rod too. Glad you found it informative!

-Spydey

H
halibuthitman
if you don't get the $1000 scott, then get the Echo... sage and orifice aren't any better.. just more money-

S
Spydeyrch
halibuthitman said:
if you don't get the $1000 scott, then get the Echo... sage and orifice aren't any better.. just more money-

When I went on a float down the Mac with Brian Marz, I was able to use a scott rod and an orvis access. The access was a faster rod than the scott, but I really enjoyed that slower action in the scott. It was .... I don't know how to describe it .... it was just a sweet feeling, like it was part of me instead of just a rod in my hand. It was a very satisfying feeling ... very addictive.

Brad, which scott rod model would you personally recommend for a single hand 7wt? :think:

I like getting opinions about different rods based upon experience, preference, etc. It helps me to better my decisions, granted I will need to actually cast it to make an educated choice.

Thanks for the input Brad. :D Take care man.

-Andrew

S
Spydeyrch
halibuthitman said:

What reel would you also recommend with that Scott rod? I was looking at a Lamson Waterworks reel but haven't decided on which one. I think that anything over $350 is too much for a reel. I don't think I would truly appreciate it for what it is and the workmanship that goes into it. Plus I could get an Echo3 rod for that price! hahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

L
lilsalmon
I love my Echo 3 5wt.....

H
halibuthitman
for you Andrew in the feel you described I would go with the A4 7wt in a 4 piece.. then I,d pair it up with a Ross Cla4 reel and either a royal wulff ambush line or a Rio Atlantic salmon/steelhead line ( long belly ) the Lampson reels all seem pretty bullet proof, I use a couple konics... but the Ross Cla is the most dependable reel I have ever owned and is simple to maintain or have rebuilt. This would be around a $750 system.. very inexpensive for the quality you will be getting.. But I wont speak up against echo.. im currently using 3 of them in my Alaska arsenal.. the 4wt switch is just wicked-

S
Spydeyrch
Thanks for the recommendation Brad. I am going to do some research and get out there to see if I can cast some scott rods. I am excited to see what they can offer! :dance:

halibuthitman said:
.. But I wont speak up against echo.. im currently using 3 of them in my Alaska arsenal.. the 4wt switch is just wicked-

So I imagine you have the Echo SR Switch, right? The Echo3 comes in a switch but doesn't go down as low as a 4wt .... at least I think it doesn't .... :think:

I have an SR 7wt. I love it!! I can only imagine what it would be like in a 4wt!! That would be sweet!!

Take care man and enjoy your time up in Alaska soon. How often do you go there again?

-Spydey